Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artwk_gw

Tomato and pepper patch

artwk
12 years ago

My first attempt at hydro outdoors, all seems to be going well. Hindsight I would have stuck with one kind of plant.

Here are my tomato and pepper plants a few days into the system on 5/31.

{{gwi:1009236}}

And here they are today 6/26...several fruits.

{{gwi:1009237}}

Comments (6)

• grizzman
    12 years ago

I can't tell from the pictures. Is this a DWC system?
    Looks nice!

• artwk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I intended it to be an ebb and flow system, but i've changed it to DWC. The plants are sitting in a 2'x3' tray (for cement mixing, $10). The reservoir is a garbage can buried underneath my strawberry patch, about 10' to the left.

But rather than buy a timer, i just let it run. A 900gph pump feeds it and an 18" return waterfall keeps it nice and aerated.

• grizzman
    12 years ago

That's cool. I've done similar things myself.
    Personally, I've found better growth from EnF so a 5 dollar timer from wally might not be a bad investment.

• artwk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've always liked EnF, seems to do better with higher temps. Its been hot here in chicago.

Well here is an update as of yesterday...

{{gwi:1009238}}

Also noticed a tomato that looked like this...the only one I have seen so far

{{gwi:1009239}}

grrrr

• massimj
    12 years ago

Could that be caused by a bird?

Can you tell me what you feeding them with? I want to start a Hydro system and have most things on order. I thought I posted to this group yesterday, but couldn't find my post.
    I like your setup, it looks well thought out.

I ordered Jack Peters 20-20-20, but I am not convinced that it will be all I need to grow tomatoes, all kinds of peppers, and cucumbers. Thanks for posting pictures, everybody knows that a picture is worth a 1000 words.
    Joe South Florida.

• artwk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It could have been a bird, I'm unsure. I haven't seen much more of that since.

I use General Hydroponics Flora series. I've never tried peters, but i believe it is water soluble, so it should work. It may be lacking in micro-nutrients though. My knowledge on nutrients isn't the best.

I tried to plan out the system really well before I bought anything. Can't think of everything though, ha oh well.

Its been very very hot here for about the past 2 weeks, upper 90s. Plants have been doing well considering. I've been snacking on tomatoes and sweet peppers for some time.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio