Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kylle221

bell pepper update

kylle221
14 years ago

My tomatoes died again, but the peppers are still going strong. I put a homemade earth box with some peppers in it to fill the empty space.

This was on june 6th

June 16th

Comments (10)

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

I'm guessing your not growing pepper plants for the vegetation. I wouldn't blame you if you did, though. They truly are a beautiful plant and you have some beauties there. The problem is that beautiful vegetation doesn't mean big beautiful fruit. It can actually be a warning of the opposite. Be sure to really cut back on the grow solution to avoid blossom drop. You may consider flushing the system entirely and running pure water for a few days before adding bloom/fruiting solution.

One thing I noticed on greenhouse peppers was that the leaves look, well, normal. My first couple attempts had beautiful foliage. They looked to me like they would outperform the pros any day because the leaves were humongous and a deep dark green. Super healthy. It turns out the pros were on to something. Go figure. I never use grow solution on peppers. Bloom solution start to finish seems to work best.

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have been using Pure Blend Bloom from the start. I was told the same thing about to much foliage and no blooms. I do have quite a few flower pods showing up, just hope they set. This is the first try at peppers. The Leaves do seem to be getting quite big though.

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

june 21st

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

june 27th had my first pepper set yesterday, a few more flowers opened today.

• madcat2k3
    14 years ago

Thank you for giving us updates on the progress of y our peppers. They're growing quite rapidly.

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

What happened to the tomatoes in the first pic? Are you still growing those, too?

I look forward to hearing your opinion on the taste of your peppers. Will you let them ripen to sweet or pick them green? We do both. I've never tasted peppers from the store that get as sweet as mine.

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tomatoes in the first pic didn't make it. Same thing happened with my first try, they developed adema(which I had know idea plants could get?)around the third week.

This is my first try with peppers, so to answer your question I'll probably try them both ways. Really looking forward to trying some hydro peppers! Since I'm new at this I'm just hoping I can keep the plants alive to taste the fruit.

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

Well, they look good so far. Sorry to hear about the tomatoes. I'm currently fighting BER on my outside hydro tomatoes because of the fact that I'm not regulating temps. My solution was 85 degrees the other day because I failed to get my insulated barrier up and the buckets are black. As soon as I measured the temps I knew I was going to experience BER. Sure enough, several of the new fruit had it. All because of my procrastination. Word to the wise, if you try the tomatoes again, don't assume cal/mag will prevent it no matter what. It only works if the conditions are right for it to work. Just thought I'd share that.

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

July 3rd

• kylle221
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The bottom fruit set about a month ago. How long do they normally take to turn? (this is a orange bell)

Red Bell