Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jclagreca

pH balancing new water

jclagreca
15 years ago

I read in a book "It is important that any water used for refills or new batches of nutrient be pH balanced to +/- 6.0 (depending on crop) before mixing with your concentrated nutrient powders or liquids."

Is it true you should pH balance the water for the nutrient tank before adding nutrients?

Problem:

I added new RO water (pH 7.07 @ 86 ppm) to my nutrient tank last night. Then I stirred in my 3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon nutrients (Flora Nova Grow) and the pH dropped to 5.2. I was worried this was too low for my plants, so I added 2 gallons of RO water which brought the tank to pH 5.38. 12 hours later I checked and the pH was 6.10. Why the large swing in pH overnight? How can I prevent this?

Comments (5)

• greystoke
    15 years ago

I add my nutrients, then allow it to mix and aerate thoroughly with a bubbler. The first pH reading is NOT indicative of the final value. There is usually some bicarbonates in the water releasing free CO2. That has to come out of the water first, and so the pH rises. I check again after ± 24 hrs and then correct if necessary. Only then does the water go into the main tank.

• willardb3
    15 years ago

Your reservoir size could be too small if you see big spikes.

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

I'd agree with Willard3, sounds like your reservoir may be too small? What size and what exactly are you using and growing? Build your own?

My well water is 6.2 out of the tap, so its somewhat acidic to begin with. Once I slowly add my nutrients I wait for a while until my sprayers and aerator mixes it up nice and then test 1 hour later, 12 hours later and then adjust typically with PH Up since my PH tends to fall over time

I drain and refill my nutrients every 2-3 weeks, sometimes topping off with fresh water at or near the temp that's in the reservoir. I don't have big fluctuations, my reservoir is near 40 gallons (2 aerosprings joined together at max capacity)

You may also want to calibrate your PH meter, I frequently calibrate so I can get the most accurate readings...

More info on my systems along with many pictures in my gallery at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.TechnologyGarden.net

• jclagreca
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the comments. My reservoir is 12 gallons of liquid, and big enough to hold about 20-30 gallons total.

I'm not sure I'm seeing big spikes. It just seems as though the water likes to return to its original pH before nutrients were added. If I put Mad Farmer Get Down in, the pH will lower, but eventually creep back up, and I have to continually add the Get Down.

6/29 @ 10pm = pH 5.38
    6/30 @ 2:15pm = pH 6.10
    6/30 @ 8:15pm = pH 6.09
    7/1 @ 9:50am = pH 6.29

I'm wondering if this is the reason to pH balance the water to 6.5 before adding the nutrients?

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Mad Farmer Get Down. Is that designed for use in hydroponics or soil?

First thing I'd do would be to observe the pH of a set of solution that isn't in the system. Mix up a gallon or two, put an airstone in it for aeration, and then just let it run like that for 12-24 hours or so. Check it frequently to see what the pH does. That way you can determine whether the changes in your system are part of a chemical reaction within the solution itself or something your plants are doing.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio