Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madcat2k3

Problem mixing nutrients and also chili plant growth problems

madcat2k3
14 years ago

Hi guys, I'm absolutely stumped. My Jalapeno Chili plant/s have started to produce a hell of a lot of buds, and started flowering. Since then, all the new growth has been a pale yellow, distorted, twisted and just looks sickly, yet it's still growing like a champ. I'm posting this because I have 2 problems which I believe are related.

First off, the sort of system I am running is a Flood and Drain, using around 300w of CFLs (1ft per 110watts, right? so any more light for a group of plants around 2ft width would be wasted, correct?). Anyway, I'm using 2x red spectrum and 1 blue spectrum 125w/105x2w at 64k and 27k. The reservoir tank is only 5 gallons because I'm not growing much to begin with.

Anyway, first problem. I'm using GH Flora series, but not using the Gro as I have ran out of it. I figure, it's just mostly (K) with some (P) in it anyway, and Bloom contains that in good supply. Right, my water is soft, around 50ppm straight from the tap, however the pH is around 8.6 or so.

When mixing in the nutrients, I get MASS pH drop and I cannot put in the nutrients I need to.

So, for 5 gallons, I put in 25 mL Micro (for soft water), and the PPM raises to 280. pH drops to 7.7. Then, this is the bit that confuses me. Of course I have the nitrogen there at what, around 70 PPM? Then there's all the other things well, 150 PPM worth of alternative things that are going in there. So, I figure, this the (N) level is fine at 70ish. All good, then comes the Bloom. I obviously need more (P) and (K), so I measure it out at around 80 (P) and 115 (K). So I'm using 70-80-115-52 NPKMg. Sounds good to me, right, but I cannot GET anywhere near this, because when adding the Bloom, at around 65-66 mL, the pH will drop to 3.3, from 7.7. I can only get in 35 mL which settles at around 5.1 which is still damn too low. What am I doing wrong? I have followed the labels, charts, formulas based on mL/Gal and yet, I can only get half way on the P-K-Mg. It ends up there is more (N) than (P)-(K). What's up with this mega pH drop using GH Flora Bloom?

Ok my second problem is with, obviously, the plant. Due to having to cut things right in half with the bloom, the plant seems to be getting all sorts of deficiencies. New growth is yellow, pale and just...well....it looks in bad condition overall. The pH has been stable, sure, but even at 5.7 there's yellow new growth, curling upwards at the sides of the leaves and twisting. Thought it was a pH issues with the twisting all over the place but apparently not.

The lower growth is completely green on the plants, it's just the new growth and mid way that's taking damage. I don't want to pH up because when I do, it just goes to chaos (the pH) and will go all over the place. Whenever I use pH down or up the pH will drift daily to the level it was buffered at with the nutes, or so. Which means in my case when I pH upthe solution that was at 3.3, it takes...24 hours to go from 5.7-5.8 to 3.3 and yeah, I must admit, the plants do take damage real fast at this stage, so I balance it out at 5.8 without pH upping, but I am losing nutrients from the Bloom (P-K and Mg).

What am I supposed to do, or what is it I'm doing wrong? please help and sorry for long message.

Comments (5)

• jean-luc
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi madcat2k,

Actually you shouldn't change a winning team. But 70-80-115-52 NPKMg does not sound that bad - although the P-content is a way high and K could even be a little higher for a blooming stage. What about Ca content in your "new mix"? Is "Bloom" containing any Ca? It's just a guess, but the lack of Ca may be a part of the problem here. Otherwise, some P- and K- components may alter your PH, and also make it drop. Potassium Sulfate for instance liberates Sulfuric Acid - although it is normally used only in small quantities because of it's high sulfur content. Anyway, the combination you use here seems to destabilize the PH and make it drop. Actually a colleague had a similar problem and it was due to a lack of calcium (using one component nutrient without Ca) with soft water. But even trying the impossible to correct the PH with almost exotic additives, he couldn't solve it other than changing nutrients. As you use a product from the shelf, you can not do much about it, except not using it in this combination. Adding whatever to this mix that fixes and stabilizes the PH while fitting the NPK-requirements seems complicated to me anyway.

One more hint: in some cases a correct and stable PH is much more important than the right NPK+ configuration/concentration and has always to come first - to some extend even at the price of a non perfect NPK config.

• madcat2k3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hiya. Well, I just looked at the Bloom bottle, and it contains the following....

5% - P
    4% - K
    3% - Mg
    3% - Sulfur (This one baffles me now, the Sulfur content is higher than the Mg..I thought sulfur was supposed to be in smaller quantities?).

Needless to say the Bloom has no Ca but really lowers the pH down.

The Micro contains 3.5% Ca in it. Would it help if I list the whole ingredients on the back of the bottles and you can see where I am going wrong with the mixing process? I have stable pH at 5.7 as we speak, but the plants are showing new growth as complete yellow and it's not "greening" up when the leaves get older.

There's also some deficient problems that looks like nute burn, but it can't be nute burn as there's way too little nutrients in there any way.

Thanks for the reply by the way!

• shelbyguy
    14 years ago

you want your N:K ratio to be between 1:1.5 and 1:1.7. they don't need all the P. they want K.

In the GH Flora series, all the K is in the Grow.

to arrive at this proven target:
    N - 200ppm
    P - 55ppm
    K - 318ppm
    Ca - 200ppm
    Mg - 55ppm

I use 16-6-5 plus 3ml of CalMag+ per gallon

• madcat2k3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again guys, I'm learning quite a lot from all of you. I've gone over the bottle and labels and I'm pretty confused about one thing.

The Micro is 5-0-1, the Bloom is 0-5-4, but there are other nutes in some of it that don't make sense to me.

I will start with the Bloom (I was wrong before)

Available Phosphate (5%)
    Soluble Potassium (4%)
    Soluble Magnesium (3%)
    Soluble Sulfur (5%)

This is what it says on the label. What is the purpose of all this Sulfur??

On the Micro there's 5.5% Ca. So, let me get this straight, the Ca ups the pH? Someone told me that C. Annuum don't need much Nitrogen at all, and to get it below 50 if possible. When I do this by using the Micro, I suppose there isn't enough Ca to help with the pH, right? See, I never had this problem before, it was only when the plant got older, which I guess is expected as they're bigger and get more hungry.

Here are the readings from my system, both newly calibrated pH and PPM meters 3 days ago, over the last 3 days.

pH 5.83 - PPM 472
    pH 5.77 - PPM 433
    pH 5.61 - PPM 362

Todays reading is....

pH 4.92 - PPM 498

What on earth could be causing a drop in pH and raise in PPM so vigorously in 24 hours? I haven't even touched the system other than check visually quickly. You see, I dare not increase the nutrient amount or they take more damage? So am I starving them or overfeeding them?

I have attached a link to some pictures of how bad it looks. They don't look too good :( Link at the bottom of page.

Plus the amount of floral abortion (I think that's the name used) is insane. I thought it could be a pollination issue but nothing I do matters, it'll flower, then drop off from the stalk. Hmmm.... Probably every day I see 10 dropped flowers :(

Any further help? I'll definitely be changing the solution again today. Just, are you sure putting so much Nitrogen is ok at this stage?

Here is a link that might be useful: My sick Chili plants :(

• madcat2k3
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi again guys/girls.

I have just mixed up a new solution. I had found some Grow left over that was stored in the shed, lol. Not the best idea I guess. I only have about 40 mL left, and I'm almost out of Micro and Bloom too.

I have to admit right away that it seemed impossible to get what I need with just Micro and Grow, and I know I've been told before NEVER to mix the Grow and Bloom together, but I had to...I'll explain why.

This is the mixture I came up with and the amounts used.
    -----
    Micro
    -----

87 N
    19 K
    96 Ca

----
    Grow
    ----

52 N
    8 P
    101 K
    14 Mg

-----
    Bloom
    -----

14 P
    22 K
    20 Mg
    33 S

-----
    Total
    -----
    139-22-142-34-96
    N P K Mg Ca

-----
    In mL
    -----

20 Micro, 20 Grow, 7 Bloom

-------------------------------------
    PPM/pH (that'll change over 24 hours)
    -------------------------------------

PPM 982
    pH 5.91

Ok, so well, I cannot at all risk adding any more P or Mg through the Bloom. I could add 2 mL per US Gallon extra which'd change the P and Mg to 36 (P) and 54 (Mg), though I would see the pH drop below 5.4 and I'm scared it'll just keep dropping after that. Would the plants do ok with that low amount of P and Mg? I guess, I must also thank everyone again because I think now it's possible that I have learned that the Ca is vitally important to the pH. I didn't really know this before (silly me). If I made this mix up with such a low amount of micro the pH woulda dropped below 4 with even the Gro. Is it safe to put this mix (once the pH stabilises into my system that is only using 3xx watts of CFLs)? I don't wanna kill the plants with it...

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES