Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_guisador

Experiences with GH's RapidRooter?

green_guisador
15 years ago

I just got a 50-cell tray of rapid rooters from the local hydro store.

Tossed some seeds into em last night, hopefully I get some decent results.

Anyone used these things? Experiences, thoughts?

Comments (11)

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

They're a lot like Jiffy starters, but I like them a lot better than the Jiffys. I just seem to have better results.

I'm sure you'll be very happy with the results, I always have been.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nice! Do you usually germinate in the plugs, or do you germinate them in a paper towel and place them in once they sprout a root?

I dropped a bunch straight in, the Black Sea Man Tomato popped root in 36 hours, but nothing on the others yet.

• joe.jr317
    15 years ago

I seeded a lot of stuff by planting the seeds straight in the hole and covering with coco coir lightly. Germinating prior to planting is probably better so you know none will go to waste. I just never do that. Those things make transplanting a WHOLE lot easier. I use them for my ground plants, too. I used them for their intended purpose, too, for the first time a few weeks back. I "cloned" my basil and a couple of tomato plants. Worked out great.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

nice! so far, i'm having great results with the rooters. i planted 23 seeds, because I have a 15 planter ebb n flow, and i figured that'd work out about right. all but one are popping leaves. guess i'll have to throw together another sytem=)

maybe i'll plant a couple of the duplicates in dirt to see a comparison.

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

I like the PERFECT STARTS - I get mine from FutureGarden.com and they work wonderfully in my aeroponic and hydro systems. All of my seeds are started this way - I even cut them in 1/2 or thirds and this helps me get more bang for my buck. I have a tutorial on how I start my seeds over at my website http://www.TechnologyGarden.net

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.TechnologyGarden.net

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks techg! Looks like a lot of useful on your site!

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Yeah, that's a pretty cool site.

I've always found that whichever style of germinating you use seems to bite you in the 'tocks in a predictable way.

Say you want 12 plants so you start 12 seeds. You'll have like 8 germinate. But if you plant 18 seeds you'll have 18 germinate.

I think Mother Nature does that just to remind us that we're not in control.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thats very true gary, there's always something there to remind us that we are products of nature, and not the other way around. we'd do a lot better in this world if we could remember that=P

at least i've got plants i need to scramble to accomodate. i'd rather have more than i know what to do with instead of a bunch of dead plants.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Ain't that the truth. It's always feast or famine, but it's not just nature. Seems like everything works like that. Like at work, there's either too much to do or not enough.

How's the germination rate coming out for you?

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've had a literally 100% germination rate on the 35 seeds I've used the rooters on. I couldn't be starting out any better in terms of that.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Good quality seeds and proper attention to detail usually ends up in a high germination rate.

Still, 100% is pretty great. Definitely got a green thumb at work there!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?