Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
backyardhydro

Backyard Basil photos

backyardhydro
13 years ago

Basil is about ready to start making cuttings. mmmmm pesto!! 144 plants here in NFT channels.

Comments (12)

• homehydro
    13 years ago

That's a lot of Basil, are you planing on selling it? There is no way I could use all of that myself.

• backyardhydro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am very popular at the office when I bring in basil to give away. I freeze many batches of pesto. Also, freeze basil in olive oil. Last season's pesto lasted until last month. Frozen basil in olive oil is great to throw in sauces to add a little flavor.

• backyardhydro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am very popular at the office when I bring in basil to give away. I freeze many batches of pesto. Also, freeze basil in olive oil. Last season's pesto lasted until last month. Frozen basil in olive oil is great to throw in sauces to add a little flavor.

• wordwiz
    13 years ago

Guy, with that many plants you should be harvesting pounds of basil leaves per day! I averaged a pound of leaves per week last year with just 12 plants - you have what looks like a couple hundred!

I am jealous!

Mike

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Not sure if you have thought about it, but with that kind of setup you could probably easily sell fresh basil (and other herbs) to local restaurants.

P.S. How much does weather play in how your plants do? Especially heat, with the open tube ends I imagine that it would be difficult to keep the root zone temps down.

• backyardhydro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did the commercial hydroponics thing in a "past life". (tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, basil) Heating costs here in the Northeast really took too large a bite into profits. Sold off the greenhouse and property but kept the NFT system for my hobby.

Without a greenhouse weather does come into play. Had to wait until after May 15th to put out basil. My early lettuce went through a couple 33 degree nights and came through ok. I have a 30% shade cloth over the system. Mostly to lessen the rain downpours or hail that may occur. A storm went through last night with strong winds and knocked over some of the basil plants. No big deal, plants just start growing upright again.

As for nutrient temps really did not have a great issue last year with the basil. Didn't really monitor it at all last year. With the thin film of nutrient I think the evaporation along the channels help to keep roots a little cooler.

• grizzman
    13 years ago

How much do you slope your channels?
    Also, could you post a picture of the return end of the channels?
    Thanks.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

I swear I can almost smell it. . .

• kathy_in_washington
    13 years ago

Backyardhydro, how do you freeze your basil/olive oil? I'd like to know exactly what works for you, so we can try it ourselves. Thanks.

Kathy in Washington

• backyardhydro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

For freezing I just make up batches of pesto(basil, pine nuts,olive oil,garlic,parm. cheese), then mix them all together in a large bowl and spoon into sandwich baggies. Flatten out the baggies and put into the freezer flat. When frozen you can line them up in the freezer like books. Then when I want some pesto just start the pasta water, drop in a baggie and allow to thaw, take out, finish the pasta and then mix into finished pasta.

I also made batches of basil/olive oil only and did the same thing. Then when I want to add some basil flavor to a dish (pasta sauce for example) take out a baggie and break off a chunk or two of basil/olive oil and add to dish.

• kathy_in_washington
    13 years ago

Thank you for posting the information, Backyardhydro. We've made and frozen Pesto, but never just the basil/olive oil. We'll have to try that.

Kathy

• ethnobotany
    13 years ago

Such an amazing garden hydro!