Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
green_guisador

my first go at hydro

green_guisador
15 years ago

First off, I'd like to thank the people who frequent this board. This was my primary source for information when I was deciding what to go with, hydroponically speaking.

I've now got myself a nice little setup in my apartment. I have a 15 planter ebb & flow system, materials to make my own drip system (for an ever-bearing strawberry bush I'm going to grow from seed), expanded clay pellet medium, rockwool starting cubes, and a 400W HPS/MH switchable system.

I went to Lowes, and got a metal rack (like the portable clothes closets) to house this. I've got the light hung, and its distance is exactly 4' from the top of my planters. I also have both veg & bloom nutrient solutions.

I have read just about everything I could find online and in my local library about doing this. I plan to start with a pepper, pea, and tomato crop. The information is very variable depending on source.

I figured the place to come would be here, where experienced gardeners actually have discussions.

How do I prepare my rockwool cubes for my seeds? I know you soak them in a ph adjusted solution for 24 hours, but I've seen a 5.0-6.0 range depending on the source. What has worked for the gardeners here? How do you achieve you desired PH levels? Does lemon juice and baking soda work, or will I need to get the PH up and down?

I would also appreciate any advice particular to an ebb & flow system, peppers, tomatoes, peas, berries, etc.

I look forward to sharing experiences, and heck, maybe even some interesting seeds! Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cook what you eat, grow what you cook.

The Green Guisador

Comments (13)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I'm on well water and don't generally have to adjust the pH. (Lucky me). When I lived in the city, I always had to adjust it. I bought some pH up and down from GH. a quart of each and I still have about 90% left. so a little goes a long way. I've read a lot of stuff about different home remedy ups and downs. one I've seen a lot is to use vinegar as a down. I can't really speak to their effect. I read somewhere that vinegar and lemon juice are not very good to use. I remember at the time the reason being good, but I can't remember why now.
    I don't use rockwool. I don't want to have to tinker with adjusting 'its' pH and I've seen a lot of pictures where it looks like the rockwool is holding too much water against the plants causing problems. I suppose with a 1" cube, it won't be long before the roots grow out of it. I just don't see the point. Simply stick your plant directly into your medium. Just my perspective.
    As far as EnF with peppers. make sure your water level is lower than the crown of the plant. Otherwise your stem will rot and cause the plant to die. I learned this last year in my one and only EnF attempt. Not that I won't try it again, just not with nightshades. A DWC system with a sprayer head just works too good for them.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info about the pepper crown and the water level. I wouldn't have known that, and that woulda cost me!

I am starting from seed, which is why I'm not putting these guys right into the system. Does that matter? I'm using hydrotron clay pellets, can I just plant those seeds in that?

Thanks again for the input!

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I didn't mean to suggest you direct seed into a net pot. I just didn't feel like repeating something I'd just written in another thread. instead, germinate in a damp paper towel then move it into a temporary medium, and then, once you have some true leaves, move the plant into the net pots.
    Unless you're running a large scale operation, that's the best way to do it. see the current thread on germinating where I've elaborated the process further.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Awesome, thanks grizz!

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Yeah, you can't start seeds in clay pellets unless they're massive seeds. Pumpkin seeds could probably work, but even then it could go badly.

Use Rapid Rooters or Jiffy starters or something, then just pop those in your system and fill in the gaps with the clay pellets. Works great.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice ponics (and great name as well)! I was actually talked into rapid routers by the dude at my hydro store, and I decided to run with that instead of the rockwool.

I've got my seeds in, and I'm hoping for some germination action!

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Sweet! Got my fingers crossed for ya.

I never really liked rockwool myself. Too many "but don't forget to..." things with rockwool. Gotta soak it first. Gotta be careful about the itchy fibers when it's dry...

Clay pellets are just so easy. Sure, you have to wash them first but it's not that hard and you only have to do it once.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

How's it working out for you green?

I like hydroton too. Its just the best medium I've used.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

its going well so far, my seedlings are about a week old, and still in the dome. so i haven't made it to the hydro system yet, but my plants look healthy. i keep a reasonably updated blog about em, if anyone would like to see what this noob does to hurt his plants=)

i'm always willing to listn to experience, so if you do go, feel free to let me know what you think as i'm going=)

thanks for the advice everyone! looks like i'll have plenty of healthy plants to get into my system soon enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: my blog

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

I read your blog, cats are so weird sometimes. You might want to grow some decoy plants for them - Kitty Hooch sells catnip and cat grass seed.

Though to be honest, I'm not sure but what that might teach your cats to eat more plants.

• green_guisador
    Original Author
    15 years ago

haha, yeah, they had a good time getting those seedlings. They only ever ate them RIGHT after the flood cycle on my system. The plants must taste best while they're feeding or something=)

They did me a favor, anyway. I realized I had some trouble down the road having peppers in my particular system, and prolly would have killed them anyway trying to change nutes.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

I like to eat sprouts too - and they're best right after a good rinse, so that makes sense.

Still, too bad about your peppers.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES