Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bilberrybrian

Review for the Bluelab nutrient truncheon

bilberrybrian
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I got around to finishing my review for the Bluelab nutrient truncheon.

If anyone was having trouble deciding whether or not the this instrument would be right for them, hopefully this can help. This particular review was pretty positive so I felt it appropriate to mention I don't get paid to do this or even receive this stuff for free. Just wanted to share some information. If you have any suggestions or questions please feel free to share.

Here is a link that might be useful: Truncheon Review

Comments (7)

• grizzman
    14 years ago

Nice review.
    I find the pictures interesting only in that mine is actually green and white with red LED's. Also, mine came from new zealand hydropnics. I suppose they were bought by bluelad a few years ago and changed the color to match their new name.(pure speculation there)
    Also, one note about your comment that the numbers are upside down. This is only true if you're checking a solution at waist height. my reservoirs are placed on the ground. I have to (well not have to, but generally do) bend over to dip the stick into the liquid. Of course, this causes my head to invert which, in turn, makes the numbers appear upright.

• bilberrybrian
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the sharp observation. An amendment to the review where citing your post here is now included within the review since that's good information to know.

I'm uncertain if Bluelab bought NZ Hydroponics or if NZ hydroponics changed names for marketing and brand image reasons. Now that you mention it I think I have an old NZ hydroponic pH meter laying around here somewhere. Did the old NZ hydroponic truncheons also have the same five-year warranty?

• grizzman
    14 years ago

I'm not certain, but believe it did. I'll try to look at the paperwork when I get home.

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

I haven't heard anything bad about Blue Lab. I also have one and recommend it to anyone. Well worth it.

• onewebfoot
    14 years ago

I bought a Truncheon more than 5 years ago. The first unit broke within a week in that the wire that connected to the spring got cut when I was replacing batteries. Bluelabs replaced it, and they improved the design of that wire/spring connection, stating that my issue had been common with the prior design. So kudos to BlueLabs in this category.

The replacement unit worked without a flaw for 2+ years, but I relocated and the device went unused in storage, but was cared for and not abused. I just tried to start using it again a month ago. Iv'e recently launched 100+ gallons (378+ liters) of outdoor hydroponic systems (four systems total). No corrosion from the old batteries, I put in new batteries. The device is useless, and no parts can be replaced. The readings are very inaccurate, when the light even works. Yes - I allow for temperature adjustments. I took it to a local hydro shop, and the guy tried to debug it, only to advise me with what I already knew and had decided - "It's broken, and nothing you can do." And it's out of warranty.

So how long do you plan to use an EC/TDS meter? If it's more than five years, avoid the truncheon and get a Hanna. That's my vote, anyway. Regards.

Otherwise, hello everyone. I was active on this forum 5 years ago. Sorry to have been gone so long. Great to be back and to see the group active.

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

Hello to you too. I've not been here 5 years, so you're new to me (or I'm new to you or whatever). Why the Hanna? Do you have a reason for believing it will last longer? I have no experience with them. I've often thought of getting a second meter just to make sure I'm getting consistent readings. I've definitely noticed I have to check and adjust my Milwaukee pH meter far more often than I find acceptable. I keep the drops on hand for this.

• onewebfoot
    14 years ago

Very compelling question, actually. One answer is, 'I recommend the Hanna because that's what I got." LOL!! Otherwise, if I were to store a Hanna for a long period of time, there are two things available to me that are not available on the Truncheon: (1) replacement parts (low maintenance option), and (2) option to store the device with moisture (high maintenance option). Expense is a factor. Until I relaunched my systems after a 2+-year hiatus, the Truncheon was the better value. It was disappointing to relaunch everything, believing I had a great device waiting for me, only to get hit with that kind of a ramp-up expense when I thought it had been reliably tackled. I was very happy with the Truncheon prior to storage, and it irks me that I can't replace anything on it to get it working again. Irks me big time..... Thanks for the welcome back and the article.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!