Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimvan973

My first hydroponic tomatoes (pics)

javan
17 years ago

My wife and I gave a small hydroponic set-up to her mother and father about ten years ago. They used it for a number of years, and then gave it to us for our use. I replaced a few parts (pump, timer) and we gave it a whirl for the first time this year in our greenhouse. Here are two pictures of the tomatoes now growing. I am still such an amateur with the set up, and there is much I need to learn, but I'm liking the results so far. Jim

Tomato flowers

{{gwi:299727}}

Ripening tomatoes (Sugary - a new Thompson and Morgan seed)

{{gwi:299728}}

Comments (5)

• hald
    17 years ago

Beautiful! Are you using ebb and flow? I'm trying hydroponics again this year. So far I'm happy with the results too.
    -Hal

• javan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yes, Hal, this is an ebb and flow system. I'm amazed at how often I have to replenish the water in the holding tank (almost daily) now that the plants are quite large. It is sure nice to have the tomatoes though. Good luck with your setup. Is it ebb and flow as well? Jim

• geis701
    17 years ago

Great looking plants, they looks very healthy..I am also growing tom's in an Ebb and flow table, This is my first time growing in an ebb and flow system. My question for you is, did you cover your roots or did you just let them sit in the bottom of the tray...I have not covered mine and they seem to be turning a bit green. is this ok? You can see my set up a few posts down from your "new grow box with pics" my plants are about 12inches now and growing FAST. Also, At what point did you go to a bloom fertilizer?

• javan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'm not sure what you mean by "cover your roots". I started the plants as seedlings in regular soil six packs, then carefully washed out the soil when I transplanted them into the clay rock (just like yours). I had some rocks in the pots, layed in the extensive roots and gently added more rock to cover all the roots.

I let the plants get pretty large (3 feet tall) and gradually transitioned them to more bloom than the original mix called for. I still occasionally add a dropperful of Schultz liquid 14-14-14 to the storage tank as I add more water, but am generally using mostly the liquid bloom formulation I've got, with smaller amounts of growth and micronutrient formulas.

I read and saw a picture of algae getting on roots (which turned them green), and the person responding said they didn't think that it was anything to be concerned about. See the NFT algae issues thread and picture just below your thread on the new grow box. That would be my guess about roots turning green. Keep posting pics to let us see how it is going. All the best, Jim

• javan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is a picture of a few tomatoes I picked today from the hydroponic setup in the greenhouse. Amazing! Jim