Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first hydroponic tomatoes (pics)

Posted by javan 9b n. coastalCA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 8, 06 at 22:47

My wife and I gave a small hydroponic set-up to her mother and father about ten years ago. They used it for a number of years, and then gave it to us for our use. I replaced a few parts (pump, timer) and we gave it a whirl for the first time this year in our greenhouse. Here are two pictures of the tomatoes now growing. I am still such an amateur with the set up, and there is much I need to learn, but I'm liking the results so far. Jim

Tomato flowers
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ripening tomatoes (Sugary - a new Thompson and Morgan seed)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first hydroponic tomatoes (pics)

• Posted by hald Sunset 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 1:09

Beautiful! Are you using ebb and flow? I'm trying hydroponics again this year. So far I'm happy with the results too.
-Hal

o

• Posted by javan 9b n. coastalCA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 9, 06 at 1:28

Yes, Hal, this is an ebb and flow system. I'm amazed at how often I have to replenish the water in the holding tank (almost daily) now that the plants are quite large. It is sure nice to have the tomatoes though. Good luck with your setup. Is it ebb and flow as well? Jim

o

Great looking plants, they looks very healthy..I am also growing tom's in an Ebb and flow table, This is my first time growing in an ebb and flow system. My question for you is, did you cover your roots or did you just let them sit in the bottom of the tray...I have not covered mine and they seem to be turning a bit green. is this ok? You can see my set up a few posts down from your "new grow box with pics" my plants are about 12inches now and growing FAST. Also, At what point did you go to a bloom fertilizer?

o

Thu, Jun 15, 06 at 0:58

I'm not sure what you mean by "cover your roots". I started the plants as seedlings in regular soil six packs, then carefully washed out the soil when I transplanted them into the clay rock (just like yours). I had some rocks in the pots, layed in the extensive roots and gently added more rock to cover all the roots.

I let the plants get pretty large (3 feet tall) and gradually transitioned them to more bloom than the original mix called for. I still occasionally add a dropperful of Schultz liquid 14-14-14 to the storage tank as I add more water, but am generally using mostly the liquid bloom formulation I've got, with smaller amounts of growth and micronutrient formulas.

I read and saw a picture of algae getting on roots (which turned them green), and the person responding said they didn't think that it was anything to be concerned about. See the NFT algae issues thread and picture just below your thread on the new grow box. That would be my guess about roots turning green. Keep posting pics to let us see how it is going. All the best, Jim

o

Wed, Jun 28, 06 at 21:35

Here is a picture of a few tomatoes I picked today from the hydroponic setup in the greenhouse. Amazing! Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here