Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ph adjust in a single DWC without lifting the plant up

Posted by jackblasto none (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 22:57

Is there any way to adjust the ph of a single bucket deep water culture without lifting the plant up and stirring the nutrient mix? I'm asking because my tomato plants are rather large and can break at this point. Every time I do a lift I cross my fingers nothing is going to go bad. I drilled a small hole next to where the airline goes in so I can pull out a sample to ph and ppm test and that works nicely BUT I am a little perplexed on adjusting the ph through a tiny hole? I mean the solution isn't mixing around via pump in there... it is bubbling from an air stone... soooooo, if I just drop some ph up in there does it really dissolve properly??? Wondering if anyone out there has some ingenious ideas? I was told to top off by watering the plant through the top overtop my pebbles... well, I would think dumping a ph adjuster in through the top goes absolutely nowhere and would just sit in the pebbles and become totally useless. I also thought using a syringe to shoot it into the bucket via the hole I drilled would be effective BUT then I run into problems with how does it mix nicely with the nutrient mix if I just dump a few mL of ph up on top and don't really stir it? Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ph adjust in a single DWC without lifting the plant up

I would fit a tank connector to the dwc bucket and a second bucket the same size. When it comes to adjustments or nutrient changes, link the buckets with hose and raise the dwc so the water drains into the empty bucket. Make the adjustment or nute change and raise the bucket to refill the dwc.
Using john guest pushfit tank connectors will allow you to unplug the 2nd bucket with a minimum amount of fuss if required. If the connecting hose is clear it can double as a water level indicator / water topup port. Fit a pipe clip to the top of the dwc bucket to keep the hose upright.

o

Are you using liquid ph adjuster? I would think that the mixing action from an airstone would cause enough agitation to mix two liquids together. You might have to give it a bit time before you can check it accurately. I have a level indicator hose and I use that to drain water, check nutrients, adjust ph and put the air into my buckets. ( rons bubble buckets on youtube ) I just put a bit of ph down into the indicator hose, reattach the air line and check it later.
kevin

o

Thanks for both responses. Both are great ideas. Thanks for also pointing out that air stone agitation would mix it over time. I will add a little and wait a few hours. Thanks again for your insight.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here