Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Airstone for 60 gal reservoir

Posted by Robert.1943 10b (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 1:58

I have been using airstones in all of my DWC with great success, but never in 30 years have I ever used one in my 200 litre reservoir on my ebb and flow system.
With my Kratky method where I do not use any electricity my lettuces are doing very well .
I have good success but not great success with my ebb and flow except tomatos that seem to do very well.
I planted some Kale in my ebb and flow using the correct PH and EC for optimum growth, I gave some seedlings to my son who planted in his soil garden and they just rocketed in growth. Any idea what I should do and if you think an airstone is the way to go what size what you suggest

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Airstone for 60 gal reservoir

Hey,
I consider an air stone to be an essential addition to any reservoir.
The best air stone you can buy is a ceramic one made by Deep Water Innovations. These stones create very tiny bubbles, resulting in much better aeration than a standard air stone. These air stones are also reusable unlike cheaper stones.

The air pump should be an adequate size to properly aerate the water. I would recommend a pump such as the Elemental 571 GPH o2 pump. It is about $30 at the local hydro shop.

If you want to go the cheapest route, a 3" cylinder air stone costs $3 at my local store. These should be replaced after each harvest.

o
RE: Airstone for 60 gal reservoir

Thanks DrKnow I have been doing ebb and flow for over 40 years and have had reasonable growth, but not until I got into DWC in the last year did I see a huge difference in growth. I am going out this morning to my hydro shop to get a pump and airstone to get a move on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here