Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tampahydro

organic nutrient questions

tampahydro
15 years ago

Hi, I am new to hydroponics, and I have unanswered questions that I have researched for days all over the net.

I recently constructed an outdoor flood table using perlite along with a nute tank aerator.

I used the organic formula stated in growing-edge magazine using low pH rain water. I experimented with two solutions, one with high phosphorous guano, and the other with seabird guano. Both batches have been at least 7.6 pH after adding the nutrient (only have aquarium pH liquid drop test kit). I have added vinegar to lower pH, but the high pH returns by the next day. My plants also dont look too happy.

One question I cant find- Is it ok to have a higher pH when using homemade organic mixes? (ranges vary wildly on the net and books, and most dont mention organics).

Another question- Has anyone tried these formulas and had success? Could I possibly dilute the nute solution more? Should I just purchase some sulfuric acid?

One more!- Utilizing EWC, guano, superthrive, and seaweed, does anyone know alternative mixes I could use to grow peppers, tomatoes, and herbs?

*please note I own no hydro metering equipment, and from most of what I have read, they are unreliable with organics. Besides, this was supposed to be the simple approach, though I am appreciative of any knowledge someone can help me with.

Thanks!

Comments (2)