Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
organic nutrient questions

Posted by tampahydro (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 20, 08 at 4:32

Hi, I am new to hydroponics, and I have unanswered questions that I have researched for days all over the net.

I recently constructed an outdoor flood table using perlite along with a nute tank aerator.

I used the organic formula stated in growing-edge magazine using low pH rain water. I experimented with two solutions, one with high phosphorous guano, and the other with seabird guano. Both batches have been at least 7.6 pH after adding the nutrient (only have aquarium pH liquid drop test kit). I have added vinegar to lower pH, but the high pH returns by the next day. My plants also dont look too happy.

One question I cant find- Is it ok to have a higher pH when using homemade organic mixes? (ranges vary wildly on the net and books, and most dont mention organics).

Another question- Has anyone tried these formulas and had success? Could I possibly dilute the nute solution more? Should I just purchase some sulfuric acid?

One more!- Utilizing EWC, guano, superthrive, and seaweed, does anyone know alternative mixes I could use to grow peppers, tomatoes, and herbs?

*please note I own no hydro metering equipment, and from most of what I have read, they are unreliable with organics. Besides, this was supposed to be the simple approach, though I am appreciative of any knowledge someone can help me with.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: organic nutrient questions

tampahydro,
I've been looking for organic nuts mixes.
Would you post the formula from GE.

Thanks.

o
RE: organic nutrient questions

7.6 is much too high for most plants. You've got to get it down at least a full point or most anything is going to die. Tomatoes and other acidic plants will need even lower.

My advice would be to get a real hydroponic pH down, like the one from Advanced Nutrients. It'll have the power to really punch the number down and the buffering agents to help hold it there. But it's possible your organic blend is just going to keep overpowering all your efforts to the contrary and keep killing your plants.

It's easy to use organics in soil because the soil already has strong buffering capacity in it.

What I'd do is to mix up the ingredients separately and test each one to see where your crazy alkaline pH is coming from. Then don't use that, or find a better alternative.

Testing equipment doesn't have to be complicated, but you do need some way of reading values between say 5.5 and 7.5 with reasonable accuracy.

If you want to save yourself the trouble you might want to look into some pre-mix organic nutrients that are specially formulated to produce stable pH numbers and perform in hydroponics. (A common problem with organic hydroponics is clogging and stinking.) I've got a link below to the product page at AN's website - they've got great organics and the pH down is there too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Advance Nutrients Stuff

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here