Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
randseed

GH Rainforest woes

Randseed
10 years ago

I have a General Hydroponics Rainforest system that I'm trying to grow tomatoes, peppers, and herbs in. I'm germinating the seeds in Root Riot cubes, then transplanting them into the Rainforest. I have two sets of inserts for the Rainforest: one which uses 2 inch net pots, and one which uses much larger ones.

I figure that I can get away with using smaller pots since the roots will grow out of the net pots and down into the solution anyway. Is this a bad idea? Should I just be using the much larger pots?

I'm putting the cubes in the pot, then kind of anchoring it with Hydroton pellets. If I don't do this, then I have a relatively huge air gap between the pots and the cubes.

Second, my cubes seem to become water-logged. I've had some problems with damping off because of this. I don't see a realistic way to address this, though. One thing I have done is set the Rainforest so that the pump goes off for the six hours or so that the light is off, and this does seem to be a bit better.

I guess this is ultimately the question: How am I *supposed* to be germinating seeds then placing them in the Rainforest?

Also, is there a good organic fungicide that I should be using? Because herbs are involved my options are more limited than with just vegetables.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm