Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shancros

Tomato Seedlings Stems are thin and brown

shancros
10 years ago

Hi guys!! I'm new here! I'm starting my first hydroponic grow ever. I started with 2 tomato plants, 1 salad bowl lettuce and a jalapeno. I just started this hobby and hope to have fun with and maybe have some fresh veggies to enjoy!

My concerns are about my tomatoes. I planted these on July 2. They took a long time to develop leaves at first and didn't grow. By 7-12, I realized that I might have underestimated the light they needed so I moved the light a little closer and out of a little impatience, I put a extremely small smidgen of FN Grow in a gallon of water (like,I coated a fork and then stirred it in the water,only that much!). They then grew a little taller and leaves started to develop almost overnight! There is root now coming out of the rockwool.

However, I wonder if I've done more harm then good. The stem seems a little thin for its size and the color is brown. Also,the underside of the leaves are purple. Have I messed up? If something is wrong, can it be corrected? Or am I really just paranoid and that's how they should look...lol

The 1 on the left (actually 2,I somehow put another seed in another hole in the same cube, will take weaker 1 out or try to gently separate when transplanting to my DWC system) is an Abe Lincoln and the other 1 on the right is a Better Bush

Comment (1)