Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato Seedlings Stems are thin and brown

Posted by Shancros Ky (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 5:27

Hi guys!! I'm new here! I'm starting my first hydroponic grow ever. I started with 2 tomato plants, 1 salad bowl lettuce and a jalapeno. I just started this hobby and hope to have fun with and maybe have some fresh veggies to enjoy!

My concerns are about my tomatoes. I planted these on July 2. They took a long time to develop leaves at first and didn't grow. By 7-12, I realized that I might have underestimated the light they needed so I moved the light a little closer and out of a little impatience, I put a extremely small smidgen of FN Grow in a gallon of water (like,I coated a fork and then stirred it in the water,only that much!). They then grew a little taller and leaves started to develop almost overnight! There is root now coming out of the rockwool.

However, I wonder if I've done more harm then good. The stem seems a little thin for its size and the color is brown. Also,the underside of the leaves are purple. Have I messed up? If something is wrong, can it be corrected? Or am I really just paranoid and that's how they should look...lol

The 1 on the left (actually 2,I somehow put another seed in another hole in the same cube, will take weaker 1 out or try to gently separate when transplanting to my DWC system) is an Abe Lincoln and the other 1 on the right is a Better Bush

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato Seedlings Stems are thin and brown

Purple on the bottom of the leaves is normally, I believe, indicative of a pottassium deficiency (maybe phosphorus).
Those baby plants don't look bad. if roots are coming out the bottom, you need to get them into their final resting place. Also, make sure they get lots of light less then get leggy. right now, they look fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here