Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollination of Cucumbers

Posted by hydrotaig z5 OH (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 22, 04 at 8:33

Im trying to grow cucumbers hydroponically under light. My plant has been constantly producing 25+ blossoms at a time for over two weeks now, but has yet to produce a single cuke. The variety of cucumber Im growing Salad Bush. Ive been trying to hand pollinate with a brush, but that does not seem to help. What is the secret to cucumbers, is it the variety or do I need more than one plant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollination of Cucumbers

Sometimes when cucumbers begin blooming. they will set all female or all male blossoms. The exception is some of the new varieties that set all female and do not need pollinating. Most varieties need pollination.
The male blossoms are on the end of a small stem while the female blossoms are on the end of a small cucumber. After a period of time, the plant will set both types. It would do no good to hand pollinate until both types are present.

o

Some varieties of cukes need a pollenator. Sometimes the pollenator seeds are of a different color in the same seed pack...

For a great self-pollinating cuke try Tyria from Johnnys. Yes, at $1 a seed it's pricey but the long European cukes are sweet, delicious, seedless and do not need peeling. Each plant will produce as many as 40 cukes. Well worth the money.

o

Hydrotaig...

You're problem probably doesn't have to do with pollination, at least from my experience. Most cucumber varieties today are self-pollinating hybrids, so unless you're working with an heirloom variety...

Cucumbers will generally produce many more flowers than they can support as fruit, especially under artificial light (even HID). The secret to successful indoor cucumber production is to thin out the flowers after they develop, leaving one flower (or fruiting site) every 18 inches or so along the vine, leaving no more than 4-6 fruiting sites per vine.

Try thinning out the flowers and I think you'll see tasty cucumbers in your future. Proper trellising helps as well, keep those leaves bathed in light.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jeff Edwards
Harvestmaster

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here