Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
little_nicky_gw

Pipe sealing

little_nicky
15 years ago

OK, I've been talked into using sprayers and pipes to hook my tanks together, they are actually $10 walmart totes. I will have two areas to seal and one that currently leaks.

What do I use to seal the pipes to the totes? I need to make sure its really water tight, what I'm thinking of doing is making it so I can connect/disconnect a flexable hose so I can move it around since it may go inside.

Another thing is the top of the totes are leaking. What can I use to seal em so that I can still remove the lid easily?

Thanks

Comments (18)

• grizzman
    15 years ago

The image below is my current favorite way to pass pipes through a plastic wall.
    {{gwi:1010743}}
    On the inside of the gray can is a male threaded end. for this configuration (1.1\2" pipe) I used, I believe a 13/16 drill bit.Not really visible in the picture, there is also an o-ring between the female end and the plastic can. leak proof like a charm. If you put the threaded end on the outside, you could easily screw on a flex hose to pipe connection piece.
    as for you other leaks, I'm having that difficulty as well. the best result I got were from using weatherstripping for doors. just be sure you get something with waterproof glue or it won't last long.

• hydroponica
    15 years ago

I'd just use regular old aquarium sealant. Silicone stuff, you can pick it up at most pet stores and probably every hardware store.

• hex2006
    13 years ago

I use john guest tank connectors. Being push-fit its easy to disconnect the pipework.
    Tip: when drilling big holes in plastic totes, use a holesaw and run the drill in reverse. It won`t grab and you`ll get a very clean hole.

• KingZing
    13 years ago

There is no thread process, there is no need for any sealant (just some soapy water). To elaborate on why I used them, well you can use 1in, 2in, 3in or 4in pvc to connect to a Undercurrent which allows you to move much more water with a inline pump around 3000-4000 gpm, for say you have a 24 bucket system you'll need 48 seals plus two for a rez. It worked out wonderful for me and I thought I'd share. Just plug and go. Yes, I am new to the forums but that's only because I was skeptical of joining (I use many forums for reference purposes)

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Thanks KingZing,
    I am glad they work well for you. I'm not really sure I understand what you mean by Undercurrent though. Though for me I cant think of a situation where I would feel it necessary to spend just about $200 on seals. They look cool, just too expensive for me to consider at this point. I tend to use O-rings, rubber grommets, and especially through holes (also called bulkhead fittings). Thanks for sharing, that's always welcome. It's always nice to see what other people are doing, and what works for them.

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

I'm brand new and after reading this, is this forum for the hobby guy or what? I love my top feed but am working hard to get my aeroponic system going and adding to it. At this time the strawberry bare-roots we bought have been in my DIY aeroponic system for 3 days and this afternoon all 20 that we set up have new roots. Talk about proud. The system I designed is going to let me grow these plants for 3 years with no growth problems. Fingers crossed. To seal my feeder lines to the main feeder line I threaded tee's, tapped a 1/2 pvc for 8-32 and used super glue to seal the connection. Worked great. These are Allstars and Qzark Beauties are on order, building an even better system now. Came onboard to learn and thought I'd share my hobby.
    Thanks

• grizzman
    13 years ago

welcome to the forum Soyousee
    I'd say this place is mostly amatuers (90%) with the occasional pro. Though many of us are aspiring.
    I, like a lot of others, prefer not to bond materials with chemicals not approved to food preparation uses since we don't know how it'll interact with the nutrient solution.
    how about posting some pictures of your system. I plan to grow (or at least try to) some strawberries in NFT again this year. In my system, I only use friction to connect everything, but then again its all low pressure stuff.

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

We need to take some pic's but haven't yet. I agree on not using unknown sealers but Super glue is what surgeons use when repairs are too delicate to stitch, like eyes, so what the hell take a chance. We tapped and threaded but had to seal with something! it worked.
    My design has to keep the plants going for at least 3 years before it is proven to be sound.
    We have much to learn and prove before we start posting pic's and claiming success.
    There is plenty of how to grow dope in aeroponics to be found but not much on strawberries so far.
    We have no info on Ph values and temps and stuff but are taking the middle of all known scales. Using 5m off and 1m on. Plants were set in with top of roots barely exposed.
    Thanks

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

What do u think

Here is a link that might be useful:

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Soyousee
    I don't mean to be critical, but you did ask what people think, so I thought I would pitch in a few cents. The plants themselves look healthy (even though small).. But from the picture in the greenhouse I see a lot of wasted space. I would expect about 4 times that amount of plants from that space.

Second, the setup looks much more expensive than it needs to be. I mean considering all the "T" and elbow connectors that you used (especially that size tubing). That surely at least quadrupled the cost to build the system compared a system that I see in the same space (with 4 times the plants, and should cost less to build).

P.S. Don't let my comments discourage you in any way. And don't toss the system either. I can see it as a really good setup for other (taller) plants like peppers. I just suggest watching the plants grow and imagining how you can make the space more efficient. That's what I do all the time with mine (that doesn't mean I can afford what I want to change though).

• AussieMike
    13 years ago

That looks awsome Soyousee, I'm keen to see how this goes... and I noticed the radio in one photo, the strawberrys will love that :-)

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

Each tube is lose at bottom for occasional root trimming. All 'nuts' run back to reservoir
    in the 5 minute off time and delivered at 70 deg. each time. The 1/4' black feeder tubes get hot, but
    'nuts' pass through so quickly they don't absorb heat. May have to add a
    cooler this Hot Texas summer. Both sides feed at same time. All plants on
    both sides have One square foot of room. The leaves are Allstar at 1 week.
    Ozark Beauties on the X side are 1 day.
    The X side is my first design and built straight side to have a comparison
    of growth. We will tag & mix the plants up at a month to be accurate. Love the
    single tube on the X side that cradles the 'nuts' feeder line. At under 8'
    one person can move it around easily. 12 plant system.
    Still waiting on brother-in-law the electrician to get wiring cleaned up.
    Everything, pumps,PVC,reservoir,DRT-1 timer complete system just over
    $300.00. The complete 32 unit system with 700 gph pump $400.00 Picked up
    radio at pawn shop for $25.00, entertain the plants! All PVC we got at a
    plumbing supply outlet for less than 1/2 the Homer (home depot)price.
    I built the (million) piece green house 2 weeks ago so we have much space we intend to use but is open at this time.
    All theory and much to learn.
    'Doing 10 with no chance of Parole'
    Usefull comments please

Here is a link that might be useful: Space

• grizzman
    13 years ago

It looks nice and clean Soyousee, though I agree there's an abundance of extra space there. strawberrieds can be planted at roughly 12 X 12 spacing in hydro, maybe tighter.

Make sure you feeders aren't dripping directly on the crown of the plant. They don't like that.

• joe.jr317
    13 years ago

I second hydroponica on the sealant. I use silicone aquarium sealant with great results. I got it at Lowe's.

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

One square foot of growing room is a 12 x 12 Mr. Grizzman and we only guess at space as all the growers talk about spacing on the ground, and they space them some 3' apart for the runners.
    We are brand new to this and just guessing as we go.
    So amazed that of the 32 bare-root strawberries we put in ALL are rooting and leafing.
    I hear you on the sealant just that we had the super glue.
    We have had 3 heaters going in that little cheep green house. We are going to need that sealer for it. Been down to 10 deg. F here at night for 3 days now. We just have to keep it from freezing but are trying to hold 50 Deg. F
    Thanks for comments
    "Doing 10 with no chance of Parole"

• homehydro
    13 years ago

Soyousee
    Please don't misunderstand. We were all new to hydroponics at one point, and I'm glad that your trying your hand at it. Neither me or grizz meant any disrespect. Just offed some constructive criticism. I have no doubt that you will see/understand what we meant in the future. And there's no reason to change anything now.

People who grow hydroponically do it for many reasons, but the the biggest one is to make as much use of the space they have to work with. They also (like me) want to do it as inexpensively as they can. That was the reason for my constructive criticism. I do agree the system you built looks great. Also, even though I cant really see details, I really like the greenhouse construction.

With hydro you are not limited to just growing at one level. You can also grow and make use of vertical space. 12 inches away does not refer to just left and right, it's also referring to up and down. You cant do that with growing in soil. With soil you are limited to the square footage of the ground. Not so with hydro, that is the beauty of it.

If you are referring to planting the runners from the mother plant, I don't see anywhere for them to root? They will just suck energy from the mother plant, that's why they are typically just cut off. The runners are new plants, not berry's.

Runners do grow (and root) as close as 3 inches form the mother plant. They can become a mother plant themselves once rooted, however that's not the best spacing. The with of a full grown strawberry plant can reach as much as a 12 inch (one foot) span. They also need airflow to the base of the plant (crown). If there is not enough air flow at the base of the plant, well they can get all kinds of problems.

I grew some at a 6 inch spacing, and they needed regular timing. Next time I would probably go with a 10 inch spacing. With the 6 inch spacing, I had 32 strawberry plants within a 8 foot long, and 3 foot wide space. All of witch were growing at one level (a flat space). But if I could halved raised alternate rows, I could have increased the space between the plants to 10 or 12 inches. But at the same time not increasing the overall square footage at all. With rows set at multiple levels, I could have even dubbed the 32 plants to 64 in the same square footage.

And no disrespect intended but all for about the same price ($300), including the reservoir, tubing, rows for the plants, supports to hold the rows, baskets for the plants, growing medium, etc. and even the pump.

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help.
    The cost is unimportant to me just listed it for guidance if anyone wanted to try Aeroponics. The Sentinel DRT-1 Timer and 700 gph Mag Drive Pump were 220.00 and could supply more than the 32 plants I have set up I think. Everything else came from Homers and a local plumbing supply house. Not sure how you could get any cheaper than that.
    The tubes are lose at the bottom to allow occasional root trimming for this long-lived plant.
    Also my aeroponic supply has cautioned us about root clogging sprayers so the 45 deg tubes for growth and the drain cover with nylon screen to stop roots from getting into the main tube was my solution.
    May add another spray nozzle to top side about mid way of angled root tube. Time will tell.
    Right now we have 3 heaters in the GH to keep it above 50 deg. F. Sun is peeking out now for the first time in 4 days with OAT 10 to 20 deg.F the whole time.
    This is supposed to be Zone 8 :-)
    "Doing 10 with no Chance of Parole"

• Soyousee
    13 years ago

Thanks for the help.
    The cost is unimportant to me just listed it for guidance if anyone wanted to try Aeroponics. The Sentinel DRT-1 Timer and 700 gph Mag Drive Pump were 220.00 and could supply more than the 32 plants I have set up I think. Everything else came from Homers and a local plumbing supply house. Not sure how you could get any cheaper than that.
    The tubes are lose at the bottom to allow occasional root trimming for this long-lived plant.
    Also my aeroponic supply has cautioned us about root clogging sprayers so the 45 deg tubes for growth and the drain cover with nylon screen to stop roots from getting into the main tube was my solution.
    May add another spray nozzle to top side about mid way of angled root tube. Time will tell.
    Right now we have 3 heaters in the GH to keep it above 50 deg. F. Sun is peeking out now for the first time in 4 days with OAT 10 to 20 deg.F the whole time.
    This is supposed to be Zone 8 :-)
    "Doing 10 with no Chance of Parole"