Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

 o
Everything went to Poop

Posted by SuperLue72 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 10:35

I made a deepwater culture planter, followed all the best advice I could find. I bought some good size tomato, jalapeno and bell pepper plants from a nursery and after the second day all the leaves have dropped off. What happened?


Follow-Up Postings:

 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

I used a 10-5-5 nutrient but reduced the measure per gallon cause I thought the nitrogen would be a little to high to start with. I placed the plants in partial shade for a couple days then moved into full sun for about 7 to eight hours a day. After I moved then into the sun is when they got bad.


 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

Sounds like you used soil nutrients?


 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

It was maxi grow, supposed to be for hydro fruits and vegetables.


 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

What's the water temp? Small volumes of water heat up quickly (especially when sitting in the sun). Flowers and leaves falling off is typical of heat stress.

P.S.
Also, what do the roots look like? What does the nutrient solution look like (cloudy, foamy, algae growth, smell's bad)? Did you damage to the roots when you washed off the soil? Are you using a air pump and air stones?


 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

In that fast of time, I would say the plants were screwed up from the get go. Even bad solution shouldn't lead to defoliation on the second day. Wilting, yes, but defoliation? Missing some info here. Water or medium contamination? Did you spray an herbicide or have a neighbor that did nearby? Of course, even Roundup won't defoliate your plants by the second day. It can kill them, but the leaves don't fall off immediately.


 o
RE: Everything went to Poop

I kept the water temp around 75 degrees, I had an out container filled with water as a buffers and it had morning sun only. The container was 18 gallons. The roots are mostly that yellow green root color, there is a little brown but that was there when I unpotted them. The solution is clear with a green tint from the nutrients. I thought I handled the roots gently enough but to tell you the truth that was the first thing I thought of. I probably should not have used a watering wand on them like I did. I have an 18" air stone and a 2" round air stone. The stems look good and this morning I noticed leaf buds on my tomato, it is probably just shock like you said. Any suggestions to help them out?

Thanks everybody, I reaslly want to make this work and not get discourged.


 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!


Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.


Learn more about in-text links on this page here