Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which of my seeds suitable for hydroponics?

Posted by bearstate 9 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 16, 07 at 11:49

I've got a number of seeds that I'd like to start and before putting them into a drip type hydroponic system that I have, I'd like to save time by understand which are suitable for this.

I know from reading that seeds that eventually develope rhizomes, tubers and the like are claimed not to be suitable. There are likely others that simply will not tolerate the abscense of a blanket of soil or perhaps even certain pH values that the standard hydroponic system doesn't offer up.

Here's my seed list ...

Lantana
Blue Jacaranda
Tecoma Sambucifolia
Tabebuia Chrysostricha
Rhododendron Griersonianum
Aloe Kedongensis
Aloe Camperi
Senecio Petasitis
Anthurium Crenatum

Are any of the above suitable for starting out hydroponically?

I also have Dicksonia Antarctica, the Tasmanian Tree Fern, but somehow doubt I can grow this hydroponically. Can I?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which of my seeds suitable for hydroponics?

That's what I like ... the certainty of knowing that someone else has already been there and I can learn from their mistakes!

Not this time, I gather.

o
RE: Which of my seeds suitable for hydroponics?

Many people may not even know much about the plants you are asking about. I'm also pretty sketchy about most scientific names and so have no idea even what sort of plants you are asking about. If you can share some of the more common names and descriptions you might get more of an answer.

Almost any plant can be grown hydroponically. Even ones that grow rhizomes and tubers, they just might require a different type of system than might be best for say tomatos. (I've seen pictures of some great sweet potatos grown in hydroponics.)

Another think that could help people to figure out how to answer your question is what kind of system are you planning on using? If say you have an NFT system of a certain size, that might steer you away from certain plants on your list and favor others. If you are just trying to get seeds started, perhaps some type of propagator is all you need but if you are planning to grow to a specific size for sale, then you might need something all together different.

Good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here