Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenbrian

tomato phosphorus dificency

greenbrian
15 years ago

hello i'm brand new to this site and i think i posted in the wrong forum before, ok i grow in a hydroponics box, it's deepwatercultivating, i'm at the early veg stage right now, i've got 2 airstones, drip emitters, 3 gallon tub and 12 holes for 12 plants, i'm using pura vida organics,the grow formula is 6-4-3, the bloom formula is 2-6-6, they say for hydroponics add them together, the ppm should be 1200.. my plants right now are 2" tall, i mix up a batch of weeker solution ppm is 700, ph is 6, 80degrees in chamber, 55% humidity, my problem is my tomato plants are dark purple on the bottom of the leaves and some are curling upwards. i do believe they are phosphorus defecient, so what should i do, raise the ppm level up to 1200 like the bottle says, or i have some natures nectar, they come in separate bottles ones nitrogen, ones potasium, and the phosphorus one is 0-2-0,

should i add some of the phosphorus to my tub, can you mix different companies nutients? need help????soon

thanks

Comments (6)

• joe.jr317
    15 years ago

How long have they been purple? How old are they? I've had tomato plants turn a bit purple when really young, too. It's especially a problem if your vegetation has grown too fast for the roots to sustain them. If that's the case, it'll level out just fine. Also, when young, the roots in a dwc may not be getting to the nutrients. Organic nutrients aren't necessarily immediately soluble and tend to settle. Stir the mixture occasionally.

This tub. . . did you actually mean 3 gallons or is that a typo?

• greenbrian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi joe.jr317,
    i started from seed on july 12, they started getting purple a week ago, now they are about two inches tall, the stems are thick, the roots are not in the solution yet they are relying on the drip emitters, for nutrients. yes i will try stirring the tub and test ph, should i wait and see what happens. or should i change the solution and make it stronger?
    yes the tub is bigger but the tub can only take 3 gallons or else the bottom of the baskets would be in the solution. i bought this turnkey type of system from a guy in minnesota,
    for 350.00 all it needed were new lightbulbs and one new fan, it fits perfect in my kitchen, i guess i thought that was cheap. it's nice though,
    thanks for your advice

• greystoke
    15 years ago

I believe that most organic nutrients contain bone meal as a source of phophor. Bone meal is highly insoluble and the phosphor must be made available through bacterial action.
    To solve this problem in the short term I suggest to add some soluble phosphor (ie: potassium dihydro-phophate) a teaspoon at the time.
    In the long term . . . don't use organics for hydro.

• greenbrian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi greystoke,
    the organics i use is technaflora pura vida organics
    in the derived section on the label there is no bone meal in it. when i first put nutrients in the tub my ph was 6
    two days later was 8.5, so i got it back down to 6 last night, my tap ppm is 170,ph 7.5, so i'm letting 5 gallons sit with an airstone in it,and i think in two more days i'll put new stuff in....?

• greenbrian
    Original Author
    15 years ago

another ? greystoke if i use organics for tomatos then i won't have to flush my system before i eat it right??just want to mention that yes i am new to hydro

• greystoke
    15 years ago

greenbrian,
    Organics are not designed for hydro. Organics require bacterial action to make all nutrients available to the plants. That is not what hydro is about. In hydro you present the nutrients in the form that can be absorbed by the plant directly.

And . . . "if i use organics for tomatos then i won't have to flush my system before i eat it" . . not sure if I understand you.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting