Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wordwiz_gw

Tomato - Tone

wordwiz
14 years ago

I really like this fertilizer for growing toms in dirt but wonder - will it work in hydro?

Mike

Comments (7)

• gringojay
    14 years ago

Hi worwiz,
    ? what's it's composition?

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's 4-7-10 (N-P-K) with micronutrients. Includes calcium (3%), Sulfur (5%), Iron (1%) and traces of Boron, Chlorine, Cobalt, Sodium, Zinc, Manganese and Molybdenum.

Mike

• gringojay
    14 years ago

Hi wordwiz,
    the source of N is what to look at: urea sourced N is not desireable in long run

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gringojay,

This is what the new Tomato-Tone has, not including microorganisms.

Total Nitrogen . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.0%
    0.2%. . . . Ammoniacal Nitrogen
    0.7%. . . . Water Soluble Nitrogen
    2.1%. . . . Water Insoluble Nitrogen
    Available Phosphate (P2O5) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.0%
    Soluble Potash (K2O). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6.0%
    Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5.0%
    Magnesium (Mg). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.0%
    0.7%. . . . Water Soluble Magnesium
    Sulfur (S). . . . 3.0%
    Derived from: Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Pasteurized
    Poultry Manure, Cocoa Meal, Bone Meal, Alfalfa Meal,
    Greensand, Humates, Sulfate of Potash, and Sulfate of
    Potash Magnesia.
    *Contains 2.1% Slow Release Nitrogen.

Does this help? FWIW, it is organic fertilizer.

Mike

• gringojay
    14 years ago

Hi wordwiz,
    Water "insoluble" nitrogen will require bacteria to break it down.
    Most people's hydroponic systems are not suitable for "organic fertilizer",
    because lacks soil micro-organisms that do the job of converting organic molecules into soluble form.
    You'll be more confident if use a hydroponic designed fertilization product.
    Some do try to innoculate their growing substrate with bacteria & they then guess what (or even when) nutrients are made usable. The concept may appeal to you as ideal, yet organic fertilization does not have scientific benefit regarding nutrient uptake.

• jean-luc
    14 years ago

Right, so called insoluble nitrogen will require (high) bacterial activity to be broken down in ionised nitrogen, - same for the ammonacial part. Only molecules which are decomposed an ionized, can be absorbed by the roots.

If this process doesn't properly take place in a hydroponic system, it's just a vaste of (actually expensive) raw materials. Most devices aren't even designed or conceived for such processes. And there is no root of any plant on this planet yet, that can uptake any organic material. Evolution hasn't get this far yet. So when we talk about organic, bio-dynamic and related stuff, it applies only to the source of raw materials provided, and the way they need to be broken down. Not on the actual molecules and ions that plants absorb. When reduced to such elemental and molecular level, (without a few exceptions), oddly enough - there is no difference between both.

>>It's 4-7-10 (N-P-K) with micronutrients. Includes calcium (3%), Sulfur (5%), Iron (1%) and traces of Boron, Chlorine, Cobalt, Sodium, Zinc, Manganese and Molybdenum.Only 4, N-content is already very low. But If there is 2.1% water insoluble N, that needs to be broken down, compared to only 0.7% water soluble N, I am afraid it is far from sufficient. The formula says 1% Magnesium (only 0.7% water soluble) and that also seems much too low for tomato to me, as some 35-55 PPM are generally recommended. Depending on plant size. The phosphorus content is clearly to high compared to the N- and even compared to K.

It seems to me that the outcome of this formula is a result of what was available and could be called organic at the end. If you'd ask me to speak frankly about it, I'd promptly say: "this is truly organic, but no good tomato formula at all!" ;-)

• wordwiz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received a reply from Espoma:

We generally don't recommend this method of application. Organics by nature are insoluble molecules and they will not go easily into solution. You may be able to craft a weak 'tea' but you will not be able to get the full benefit of the product in that manner.

So much for Tomato-Tone!

Mike

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH