Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jumping in with questions

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 15:56

I jumped in yesterday and picked up a few gutter downspouts a pump a tank. I already have net pots, hose, fittings and rock wool. Think I am gonna use Ricone's style nutrient because we have the ingredients.

My question with 2 inch net pots if I cut a two inch hole it will sit on the bottom of the tube. Should I drill a smaller hole to raise it up higher off the bottom?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jumping in with questions

there's a lip on the net pot. at least catch that.
i would think you want some toom for roots to row downward, wont comment on depth.

for cutting holes, you could take one into "harbor tools" and look for a glass hole bit to drill the plastics, it can be undersized. you can then "auger" the hole out. if you use a wood hole saw with jagged teeth...you wont be able to waddle the hole out.

this might not be 100% optimal, but its what i had laying around, and used.

o

There is nothing optimal about what I am doing here. More of a proof of concept and an attempt not to go broke doing it. I am going to build a dwc at the same time but I ain't too worried about it. That seems simple.

I was planning to run the hole saw backwards, but I will look into what you recommend. Thanks for the response.

o

There is nothing optimal about what I am doing here. More of a proof of concept and an attempt not to go broke doing it. I am going to build a dwc at the same time but I ain't too worried about it. That seems simple.

I was planning to run the hole saw backwards, but I will look into what you recommend. Thanks for the response.

o

Rio
I use downspouts and 2" net pots. If you cut the holes with a hole blade and the top sits flush with the outside of the gutter (can't remember which size "bit" I used) they won't touch the bottom of the trough. You'l have maybe 1/4" below the pot.

o

Thanks grizz. Will be cutting them today. This is cool! Wish it wasn't so,hard to post pix here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here