Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Life after Hydroponics: How should I put a plant back into soil?

Posted by ines_99 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 16:50

I have a plant that just isn't doing well in a hydroponic set up. I have tried everything and give up, I'd like to plant it into soil. What is the best way to do this without shocking the plant too much? Is there any particular soil that will make the transition easier?

The plant has probably been in a hydroponic container since it was a few rooted cuttings. It's a hoya, it was small when I got it( in the hydro container )and grew a bit initially, but has done nothing for years, even with fertilizer, good light etc- nothing seems to matter. It is one of those high priced hydro pots with the clay balls and built in thermometer and I would like to use the pot for another plant that will appreciate it!

Thanks for any advice you can give me!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Life after Hydroponics: How should I put a plant back into so

Before you re-transplant mama, make a few cuttings for backup, root them in your hydro system, and transplant the new babies in soil before the roots get too long, or you can also try rooting the cuttings in soil.

For the mama plant: perhaps you can replace the clay with perlite/vermiculite or rockwool, trim the roots back by 1/3 and continue growing mama in the hydro for a while. If/when mama recovers, you can then transplant everything into soil. Good Luck!

o

so I guess I shouldn't just repot into well draining soil, huh? Darn, that's what I wanted to hear...

I should use a mix of perlite and vermiculite - or use one or the other?

Thanks "aunatural" ( sorry, but with that name I picture you watering your plants naked!! )

o

It's too HOT for clothes. LOL! ;)
Unfortunately, it just doesn't look good for the Hoya. I think now that you should cut it way back to reduce stress on the roots, and then use all the cuttings to start new plants.
As you know cuttings rooted in a solid medium have less brittle roots than plain "water roots". My earlier thinking of cutting the roots back and regrowing in per/vem was to encourage non-water roots to grow into the medium. You will need to stress the plant with a "controlled drought" for this to be successful.
If you want to try this, 100% perlite dries out too quickly, 100% vermiculite stays water logged too long and becomes anerobic. There are some good starting mixes available at any nursery--usually some combination of perlite/vermiculite/sand/peat.

see this

Here is a link that might be useful: Transplant shock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here