Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sam_kx4sam

Aerospring Spray hits basket wrong?

sam_kx4sam
15 years ago

My water streams hit the upper part of the grow basket, where it is solid. Is this a problem?

I know the root exit the basket, but they need to grow that long first.

Should I remake the unit with the spray bar lower?

The unit has been running with no media and I am getting some water in the basket.

Comments (11)

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

did you build your own aerospring? If so, try adding another sprayer. If your pressure drops, you can always plug the other sprayer hole up. Ive had great luck with the aerospring design (I built all my own) and not every basket is hit perfectly with spray. I'd say give it a run and see how things grow, I bet you'll have no issue. Tons of pics and info on my website

Be sure to put an airstone and airpump with check valve in the system , this saved my A$$ when I had some sprayers clog for few hours when I wasnt home.

-Eric
    Technology Garden

• joe.jr317
    15 years ago

As long as the sprayers are running, then the humidity will keep the roots moist and humidity will be 100% in the reservoir. If the roots aren't large enough to reach beyond the basket, then they need some encouragement anyway. They will grow toward the moisture and nutrients as long as they don't dry out. It does sound as though your emitters are too high, though. I think it's too high because you might find water leaks are more likely around the edge. If you don't feel like rebuilding, don't worry about it. Once the roots reach the water below, it will compensate plenty. The aerospring design is like a hybrid of DWC and Aero. If you are worried that the roots might dry out with medium in the baskets, try putting some medium in them. I use Hydroton in the aerospring I built. I checked to make sure the medium would get wet before planting permanently. Can we get a picture?

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is what was in the cup after 24 hours running.

{{gwi:1011492}}

This show one stream, it just hits above the opening of the grow cup.
    {{gwi:1011493}}

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

The pics are not showing up, try linking them again but honestly, like joe says, most likely it's fine, give it a shot and see how the growing goes

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My web sever went down for several hours, the pictures are working again.

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Hard to see from the pictures, can you move the sprayer up or down? Maybe put a mister head in instead?

What nutrients do you use, btw?

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, not movable, I might still add a mister.
    of eight holes that I started seeds in, I have 4 lettuce, and 1 spinach up already, in two days.

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

It looks to me as though you're probably getting enough moisture there to get things started, and once the roots hit the water level the spray isn't terribly important.

Do you have an airstone in water?

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have had seeds in the cups (media and quick starts) less than 1 week, and roots are out of the cups. Holy cow, they are growing fast. No more worries about the spray. The bottom media is good and wet, which transfered to the quick start "sponge".

All I can say now is, "IT'S WORKING!"

• sam_kx4sam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

One last update! I have pretty white roots out of the baskets. It won't be long until fresh salad.

Thanks for all the support!

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

Good to hear! Get us some pictures once things get going.