Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stevecb06

Nutrient Solution Question

stevecb06
9 years ago

Hi guys,

I have just recently started my first hydroponics grow, and I have some questions about the nutrient solutions I am using.

I am running 2 Rubbermaid Roughneck bins turned into DWC systems. One system has seedling cucumber and roma tomato plants, while the other has lettuce and broccoli. I am using GH Flora Series nutrients.

In the first bin with the seedling cucumbers and tomatoes, I used the general purpose seedling formula (1/4 tsp of each solution per gallon). These plants are looking a little yellow. Does this mean they are lacking nutrients? I took some readings today, and the solution is around 6.3 pH and around 350 ppm.

The broccoli seems to be growing okay, but seems a little yellow as well. For this solution I used the full strength general purpose mixture (1tsp of each bottle per gallon). My readings for this solution are 6.5 pH and around 600 ppm.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments (5)

• kkamm
    9 years ago

A picture would be great to help to identify the issue. I have used the flora series with great success. Upload a pic of the plants and your setup. The solution you are using at this point is a bit weak if i am understanding correctly. The 1/4 teaspoon is for very young seedlings. Also, with tomatoes, a good formula is to continue to use equal parts of grow, micro, and bloom. Just for future FYI.. Dont use the formula on the bottles as they are not specific for growing your vegetables, but more a general formula for growing other flowering plants.

Also, your PPM of your water with no nutrients need to be tested so you can tell how much actual nutrients you have added. For example, my tap water is about 250 PPM. If that is the case with your (if using tap water) your actual nutrient strength is 250 ppm less than what you are reading.

Again, pics are best for helping to determine possible issues.

• stevecb06
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi kkamm, thank you for your reply. Here is a picture like you requested.

I am running a 400 watt MH light set to 50% for now, and it is 3-4 feet above the plants. I am going to slowly lower the light and increase power as they get used to it.

I checked my ppm before I started to see if I needed the hard water nutrient formula, and although I cant remember the exact number, it was under 100 ppm.

• stevecb06
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another pic

• kkamm
    9 years ago

Looking at your pictures, the seedlings are pretty young and shouldnt need any more fertilizer. Again, they really dont need any until you see the second set of true leaves. Another cause could be over watering. In DWC, this seems a bit confusing since the point is to have roots dangling in the solution, but with newly planted seedlings you want your water just below the bottom of the net pot so that only bubbles bursting wet the hydroton. Im saying this without knowing the internal conditions of your system, so you may already know this or have this correct.

Another issue could be not enough light. Sounds like this is a possible cause with your light so far above the plants and at 50%. You want your light as close as possible without it burning the plants. You can play with the distance and judge the heat by placing your hand at plant level. Plants love light and need it to produce chlorophyll which is the green we are looking for.

In all honesty, with how small the plants are, I wouldnt worry about it too much. You may find in a few days or a week, they may correct themselves, but try making the few adjustments i mentioned and see how they do.

• stevecb06
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you kkamm,

You may be on to something with the water level. Right now it is about a half an inch into the net pots, so the hydroton is very wet. I will correct this and slowly intensify the light. Thanks again.