Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydroponics - Snake Plant

Posted by firefly1330 none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 20:06

I have been having a problem with fungus gnats for over a year now. I have tried everything under the sun and have decided I am going to go all hydroponics/hydroculture on my houseplants.

I have found a lot of good information out there about transferring plants from soil to non-soil. However, one thing I can't seem to find any information on is about transferring older plants.

As seen in the photo below I have a large snake (mother-in-law's tongue) plant. I actually have two sets of the plant. I am not exactly sure how old the plant is since I adopted it from the college.

Is there a way I can transfer this plant without killing it since it is used to living in soil for so long? Any suggestions would help me out tremendously!

Thank you,
Kaitlin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydroponics - Snake Plant

The process is the same only way may want to root prune/divide the plant and turn it into several smaller ones.
Also, pruning the branches helps too. less vegetable for damaged roots to feed. Just be careful and take your time and most plants will rebound.
usually, a heavy layer of river gravel over the soil (in the pot)will deter fungus gnats by keeping the gnats away from their food source.

o
RE: Hydroponics - Snake Plant

Thank you grizzman! I'll keep you guys up to date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here