Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
planter_geek

Starting with Hydroponics

planter_geek
15 years ago

I would like to know about member's experiences of beginning with Hydroponics, so please tell me yours. It seems that most build their own design that follows one of the Hydroponic system types instead of using some plans they got somewhere to build it. Is this true?

Comments (13)

• tbaleno
    15 years ago

I experiment a lot. I also fail a lot.

I started out buying a commercial hydroponic garden and then started experimenting with growing stuff all sorts of ways. I mostly use wick systems since they are easy.

I'm also constantly looking online for designs and have found a few I want to build. Unfortunately, I'm too lazy to get started and get the parts I need.

I'm no expert, but you asked for peoples experiences so I thought I would share mine.

The link to my site is below if you care to look at some of the stuff I'm doing.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

For me one of the biggest reasons to grow hydroponic is to experiment. I like to build things, then tweak them, then build something better.

I like the bubble method. My plant roots hang in a solution that is heavily aerated all the time. I like it because I can grow a different plant in each container.

Currently I am growing Cucumbers, about 5 different types of tomatoes, about 8 different types of hot peppers, several herbs like Basil, Cilantro, Onion, Parsley, Dill, and Peppercorns, some other things like horseradish, Celery, and am trying Potatoes.

• grizzman
    15 years ago

I agree with the others. a lot of what I like about hydroponics is the experimentation. Not only in tinkering with different nute, light, and air combos, but also in laying out systems that work within my constraints. I derive a lot of joy in laying out / plotting my designs for different circumstances. To me, plug n grow may be functional, but growing is not my sole interest in hydroponics.
    Last year I grew peppers in an EnF system that was unique in that to 'push' the nute into the system, I pressurized the reservoir. The idea was to see if a functional system could be used that didn't require a water pump. It worked, but there were a number of things I didn't like about it and, after the crop was done, I scrapped the idea.
    Right now I'm working on an EnF valve that is kind of like a reverse autopot valve. When the water reaches 'X' height, the valve opens to release the nutrients. The idea being I can use a low volume pump to fill multiple EnF flats without worrying about overflow issues or too slow drainage.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Hydroponics attracts a lot of people inclined to experiment. It's not surprising there'd be a lot of people looking to invent their own system.

In a lot of ways it's often easier to use the concepts and build something of your own than to try to follow precise plans someone else made because the materials they use may not be as available/affordable for you, or the exact application their system was designed for might not fit with what you need.

• cruelsun
    15 years ago

This past December I was intrigued with Hydro while shopping for a growlight to start my spring seedlings.

I started out with a simple DWC lettuce raft under a 400W HPS, and then got bored when all the plants did was thrive ;-)

I realized that the tinkering was what had excited me in the first place, so I morphed the system through a few stages, finally into a 'fog-o-ponic' hybrid based on Futuregarden's [url=http://www.futuregarden.com/hydroponics/systems_nutramist.html]Nutramist[/url]. The Fogger was an extravagant expense added to what had been a traditional DIY low budget system, but it certainly seemed to turbocharge the growth. More importantly, it was great fun to design and build.

Here is a link to the pictures(just click on slideshow):

Here is a link that might be useful: Tim's Hydro garden

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone else, Hydroponics and Aeroponics are great ways to grow, especially for those with space or soil constraints. I was a container grower up until this winter, then went 100% hydroponics and aeroponics and built all my own systems and it's the way to go if you are on a budget, and fun! I just make my own cloning machine and added a fogger to it. All my pics and howto's are also on my site, some of these pics and articles may help you along your journey.

best of luck and welcome to the hobby!

-Eric
    Technology Garden
    (see profile for link)

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Tim, that system you built is seriously cool. I don't know that I'd want something quite that complicated, but it's very interesting.

Do you have a more in-depth work up of its construction somewhere? Also, what nutrients do you use with the fogger?

• ericjwi
    15 years ago

Everything I've done in life is experimenting. I've gotten pretty much to the top in IT just off playing around with things.

• hooked_on_ponics
    15 years ago

You could say that life is just a big experiment.

I got started in hydroponics awhile back and drifted around in many variables. I still experiment a lot but I have managed to narrow down my nutrient supply to just one place.

I might try out something new once in awhile, but I don't forsee anything beating AN.

• cruelsun
    15 years ago

[quote=] * Posted by garysgarden (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 29, 08 at 22:03

Tim, that system you built is seriously cool. I don't know that I'd want something quite that complicated, but it's very interesting.

Do you have a more in-depth work up of its construction somewhere? Also, what nutrients do you use with the fogger?[/quote]

Thanks Gary,
    I had a lot of fun doing it, and I'm looking forward to the end of the outdoor gardening season here so I can rev up the hydro again.

The comments in the pictorial I posted are all I really have written, and those are the best pix I have.
    As for Neuts, I used GH Flora, from the DWC stage right thru the "Fog-o-Ponic".

I must admit that my design, and available time (ambition?), made it difficult to do neut changes, so I never did... I just added water and additional neuts as they were consumed (with no EC/PPM testing). I plan on raising the tubs off of the floor next time to allow for easy draining.

What I found amazing about the fogger, was the visible difference in the root system before and after I added it: The basic DWC system had 2-4 inches of air gap between the bottom of the net pots and the neut liquid. The roots hanging in the air gap looked the same as the roots immersed in the liquid. After I added the fogging system and worked out the bugs, I allowed the liquid level to fall to 4-6" below the net pots. Plants with root systems too short to reach the liquid continued to thrive, and all roots that were in the air (fog) gap started growing very fine fuzzy hairs just like in the picture on Futuregarden's site. The roots below the surface of the liquid were clean, almost glossy off-white color, but the parts of the same root in the air gap, looked like pure white goose down. A dramatic difference that I wish I had documented with the digicam...

• hinzy
    15 years ago

Hey egnilk66,
    Quick question; everything is being fed the same nutes. Can you tell us what you're using?

Thanks.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Wow cruelsun, that really makes me want to try out fogging.

I know what you're talking about - I toyed with germinating seeds in 100% humidity for a little while, small environments. I remember those roots. Like cotton fuzz.