Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hookeelao

help me troubleshoot please

hookilau
11 years ago

So I bought a GH aqua farm bucket about 5 years ago and only recently ran out of things to do with my spare time.

I did a bit of research on here & got going. I dug a chili plant out of my garden that was about 18" tall and had less growth than the others.

Rinsed off roots in warm water & promptly put in hydroton & plain warm tap water. I cut the larger leaves in half and covered with a baggie held up with a pair of chopsticks. Basically, I treated it like a cutting.

It was super happy for about 4 days in this environment. In the meantime, I went to my local hydro shop & bought a few supplies anticipating adding nutrients & setting this pepper up proper.

I bought maxi bloom & maxi grow. I also got a patio tomato to play with. I rinsed the soil off his roots in warm water

and planted him in the GH aquafarm 5 gal bucket (air lift) with pH @ about 6. He's super happy & has not shown any signs of stress. Not so for my precious chili :(

He was fine until the minute I installed him in his new 3 gal bucket which is a GH bucket hack (air lift as well). I put it outside in a bright but shaded spot. The leaves began to lose water & it drooped miserably.

Brought it back inside along with it's tomato brethren & checked pH. Adjusted down to 6.0 and waited.

Second day, no improvement. Adjusted pH down again to 6.0

Third day, looks worse. I panic & uproot the plant, check roots, no smell, and they look good. I rinsed in warm water & put back in baggie with plain water in hydroton.

Fourth day looks no worse, but no better either. Did some surgery & cut off all large leaves as well as about 10% of roots. I noticed the smallest leaves were doing well. They appeared crisp though a lighter shade of green, which I expected.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner