Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help me troubleshoot please

Posted by hookilau long island NY (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 10, 12 at 21:00

So I bought a GH aqua farm bucket about 5 years ago and only recently ran out of things to do with my spare time.

I did a bit of research on here & got going. I dug a chili plant out of my garden that was about 18" tall and had less growth than the others.

Rinsed off roots in warm water & promptly put in hydroton & plain warm tap water. I cut the larger leaves in half and covered with a baggie held up with a pair of chopsticks. Basically, I treated it like a cutting.

It was super happy for about 4 days in this environment. In the meantime, I went to my local hydro shop & bought a few supplies anticipating adding nutrients & setting this pepper up proper.

I bought maxi bloom & maxi grow. I also got a patio tomato to play with. I rinsed the soil off his roots in warm water
and planted him in the GH aquafarm 5 gal bucket (air lift) with pH @ about 6. He's super happy & has not shown any signs of stress. Not so for my precious chili :(

He was fine until the minute I installed him in his new 3 gal bucket which is a GH bucket hack (air lift as well). I put it outside in a bright but shaded spot. The leaves began to lose water & it drooped miserably.

Brought it back inside along with it's tomato brethren & checked pH. Adjusted down to 6.0 and waited.
Second day, no improvement. Adjusted pH down again to 6.0
Third day, looks worse. I panic & uproot the plant, check roots, no smell, and they look good. I rinsed in warm water & put back in baggie with plain water in hydroton.

Fourth day looks no worse, but no better either. Did some surgery & cut off all large leaves as well as about 10% of roots. I noticed the smallest leaves were doing well. They appeared crisp though a lighter shade of green, which I expected.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help me troubleshoot please

dang it. I hit send too soon. Anyhow, I guess I'm asking for some insight here from some more experienced folks. Shaking magic 8 ball.....can anyone offer some hand pats in the form of whether or not I'm on the right track?

o

o shoot. I forgot to say that the nutrient sol. is on the lower end & half strength. It seems every time I put it in nutrients, it loses ground. Could that be? and if so, I guess I should put it back in plain water & am wondering when & how to proceed to build up to nutrient sol. By the way, here's the tomato...

o

Update: seems surgery was the right thing to do as this morning the plant is not showing signs of stress. Teeny tiny baby leaves are plump and I suppose now it will be easier to monitor new growth.

I'm thinking that maybe next week if he continues on this upward trend I'll be able to go to try to transition back outside.

o

It sounds to me like you're doing to much with the plant. to make the move from dirt to hydro, simply rinse the soil off the roots and transplant. It will take a couple of days for the plant to adjust. No need to do all that pruning unless you damaga A LOT of roots while cleaning them off.
glad things are working out for you.
After a few days of water or weak nutrient for the plants to adjust, go with full strength solution.
hope that helps.

o

Thanks for your reply. I think you're right, my little chili seems to have settled down now that the nutrient solution is diluted less than 1/2 strength (I've been topping off with plain water)and of course the 'hat' I put on him seems to make him pretty happy too.

o

Patience is a virtue in chile growing...........

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here