Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ambient_gw

Vegetable PPM

Ambient
12 years ago

Hey there, new to growing/hydroponics. I was previously wanting to grow vegetative plants in a NFT/aeroponic system, but realized that all needed different PPM levels. If I was doing a pure NFT it would seem that I would need to plant the lower PPM plants @ the very end of the system, since nutrients could be depleted by the time it reached them?

First NFT system

Dandelion - PPM ?

Spinach - PPM 1260-1610

Swiss Chard - PPM 1260-1610

Kale - PPM ? (assuming near swiss chard levels)

Beetroot - PPM 1260-3500 (doubt this will take flight, since I would probably need a blooming mix)

Second NFT system

Lettuce - PPM 560-840

Basil - PPM 700-1120

Parsley - PPM 560-1260

Cilantro - PPM ?

Does anyone know the PPM for cilantro/kale/dandelion? Take it the Dandelion can be grown under a wild array PPM/pH levels. Also would anyone have any tips on PPM measurements I should use for the 1st/2nd NFT systems? Since I'm not sure how viable these PPM measurements are(read them in a book). Didn't want to split the NFT into two different systems, but seems I have to due to PPM findings :( .

Thanks for any replies.

Comment (1)

• massimj
    12 years ago

I can only comment on the cilantro. I had some trouble growing it in the summer. When I researched it, I found that it preferred cooler climate than what I have in Florida in the summer. These days, Florida is cooler than many of the northern states.
    I have not gotten anything to check my PPM yet. How do you adjust it is it's too high? Is well water usually a problem, or a solution?
    Joe