Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just wondering what you thought.

Posted by Jwh1o1 Southeast Missouri (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 21:19

I am thinking about starting an indoor garden and was wondering if what I am planning is something that would be good or not. Right now since I do not have a lot of money I am thinking about using https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1045109_550037528376052_29266398_n.jpg as a vessel for green onion, parsley, and garlic. For lighting I have a 2 bulb T8 fluorescent light fixture and I am thinking about getting http://1000bulbs.com/product/89113/SUN-901598-2PK.html?utm_source=SmartFeedGoogleBase&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_term=SUN-901598-2PK&utm_content=Fluorescent+Grow+Light+Tubes&utm_campaign=SmartFeedGoogleBaseShopping&gclid=CLPb79Kuj7gCFZA7MgodTUAA9A tubes for it. First question I have is should I use 2 of those in it or should I do one grow light and one warm light?

Now for the second half of what I am planning on doing. First The Optional link Titled room is a picture of the room so you can picture what I am talking about.

This room is roughly 8ft by 30ft with a 10ft celing and has no cement floor in it. I am thinking about cleaning the room out and using that as a garden. I am thinking about putting 1 to 1 and 1/2 feet of soil covering the floor in there and putting in some grow lights. I am not sure what grow lights at the moment. I was thinking a combination of fluorescent and maybe another type to have a broader spectrum in there. So that is my plan and I was wondering what you think about it and if I am not on a good start. Thanks for reading hope to get some good criticism!
Edit: I should mention what I am thinking about planting here. Lettuce, Cucumbers, Bell Peppers, Jalapenos, Garlic, Onions, (still looking into how deep potatoes have to be), and maybe some more if you have suggestions I am open!

Here is a link that might be useful: Room

This post was edited by Jwh1o1 on Mon, Jul 1, 13 at 21:26

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just wondering what you thought.

Here is a couple thoughts based on my experience.

1st those bulbs are good bulbs but they will need to be no higher than a few inches above your plants. To light a whole room 8x30 with enough light you will need a lot more light. 30-40 watts per sq ft or so. That would mean 7200 watts of lighting at least for your room. That will generate a lot of heat and will cost quite a bit to run. You will probably want to switch to HID bulbs too since they are more efficient than flouros.

Indoor gardens that large and expensive might be better for more lucrative crops than lettuce (only in states where you are allowed of course).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here