Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
NFT system - plants lanky growth

Posted by gregnicolson none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 4:22

Hi all,
Looking for some help on a NFT system I have made. Its an indoor system, pump running 24/7. There are two sides, one against a wall, the other against the window, both have 4 levels and drain back to one reservoir. There are flourescent (single) tubes above each row (skywhite bulbs). Some of the lettuce against the window is quite 'lanky' with large internodes. It loks to me like low light issues, but am no sure. Also the window receives about 2 hours of direct afternoon sun, and an associated steep increase in air temperature. Problems seems worse against the window where there is more natural light, this is confusing me...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: NFT system - plants lanky growth

The window...note chard on the bottom is doing great...

o
RE: NFT system - plants lanky growth -wall

Corriander, furthest from natural light on the wall side...seems to be fine...

o

I tried the same , and found out that my twin fluoro grow lights were insufficient , and my plants grew very lanky.

o

Thanks Robert, did you overcome the problem? Add more lights?

o

I must confess I cheated and took them outside under the roof eaves and they took off.
I now raise all my seedlings under these lights indoors very successfully.
There must be others who can give more accurate information on the correct lighting, as I now grow outside under my deck which still gives sunlight but protects from rain

o

o

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here