Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
semi-hydroponics

Posted by schalfback sc (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 29, 09 at 8:14

This season I mainly grew lots of peppers using homemade buckets with cedar chips[dutch method] Next year with peppers I am thinking of using bottom 3inches of chips with a coffee filter [ prevent pump clogging] over my discharge to the holding tank and using potting soil for most of the 3 gal container.This way I think I can use miracle grow as my additive instead of more expensive hydro liquids or powders.I will still use a timer on day light feedings of water.I will still use a cir pump etc. This would be very similiar to web sites growing tomatoes up side down and feeding them water every day and miracle grow. Any opinion on this method......thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: semi-hydroponics

If you're relying on soil microbes to produce available nutrients for your plants, you're really getting away from hydrponics.
Also, the system you're describing, as I interpret it, seems like a lot of extra . . .stuff, for nothing. if you're going to use a dirt basedmedium to grow a plant, why bother with any pump. just develop a wick system then you have no opportunity for mechanical failure.
Follow this link for instructions on how to build the system you want. no pumps, just dirt, water, and fertilzer. I intend to build a few of these m'self next spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here