Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marathonwoman

lucky bamboo compatibles

marathonwoman
14 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has input on what herbs (basil?, oregano?, etc.) might be compatible with the diluted solution I'm using in my (large) lucky bamboo plant. My intention is to use the bamboo plant water as the reservoir for a small ebb and flow herb planter thus doing double duty. Anybody have any ideas on what would be compatible?

Comments (6)

• grizzman
    14 years ago

what are you currently feeding the bamboo?

• marathonwoman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm using a Miracle Grow solution diluted to 1/10th of the normal "recipe", as bamboo doesn't like a lot of inputs. I've been told I could switch to aquarium plant food, but should keep that diluted as well...

• grizzman
    14 years ago

If I understand correctly, your bamboo recipe is 1/10tsp per gallon of water?
    I have used 1/8 tsp per 1-2 cups of water to grow basil and Italian parsley. which comes to 1-2tsp / gallon. you can see the concentration is much higher for the hydroponics. both grew quite well too. you could try them and see how it goes, though they may grow slowly for lack of available nutrients.

• marathonwoman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Grizzman. I really appreciate the help. I'll try those, and I may be able to increase the amount of nutrient I'm feeding the bamboo. I only recently started feeding it at all - and was advised to stick with a very weak solution. I'll try to find a compromise between the needs of the bamboo and the needs of the basil and parsley. Might try cilantro just to see what happens as well. I'll post and update when I see some results.

• marathonwoman
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, after a few weeks of ebb and flow using the bamboo water as the reservoir, my basil and chives are doing well. I've got oregano going in the same system and it's healthy, but slow growing. The lucky bamboo, on the other hand, is doing poorly. Phooey! I'm hoping it's because I took some bad advice and boiled the water, subsequently returning it to room temperature before mixing with the small amounts of nutes. Have replaced all water with distilled water and am using a seperate reservoir (nute-free) within the existing container for the bamboo. I'll give the bamboo a few weeks of distilled water only and then re-introduce it to the nutes, probably alternating between the distilled and distilled with nutes every 2 weeks. Hopefully it's still lucky and will return to health.

• lifesagardendigit
    14 years ago

I don't know if i am reading this correctly but I would stray away from using M.G. for anything you eat... regardless if you are into organic gardening or not.. i just feel that if you are taking the time to grow your own why not take the tiny extra step and keep it organic?

I am sure there are many opinions on this topic but the work/cost involved in hydroponics on a small scale obviously outweights that of hittin up the supermarket... sooo my logic is beyond having an enjoyable hobby and something over a long period of time might have a ROI why not have somthing you can't get anywhere else home grown organic herbs year round?

not to hate on what your doing by all means just food for thought.

btw i am growing organic basil using dwc under t5 and it is doing really well... and tasty too!

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor