Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnny_2009

Planning for September

johnny_2009
14 years ago

The end of summer is near and I'm starting to plan for my indoor garden. I plan on growing organic bell peppers, jalepeno peppers, and zucchini.

Planning to use an organic non-soil mix for zucchini and bell peppers. Anyone know where I can find a plastic/vinyl bed at a low cost. My local store has a 4x2 for $50. For the jalepeno I want to try water.

With that said...I'm looking for a fertilizer that will work for both that is organic. Something for vegatative growth and something for flowering. With organic if I read correctly all you have to measure is ph because it doesn't contain salts. I hope to start next week and look forward to sharing and learning/receiving advice on my indoor garden.

Comments (5)

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

Where did you read organic doesn't contain salts? I'm afraid that's not true. Worm castings, for example, contain lots of salts.

May I ask why you are wishing to go "organic" and what the term means to you in regard to gardening? It's really such a loose term and I've seen multiple definitions, some of them outright dogmatic, on this website alone. Are you essentially wanting fertilizer derived from natural materials as opposed to being made synthetically? There is some debate out there that many of the materials used in hydro nutrients can't qualify as "organic" because the methods of harvesting the materials are too detrimental to the environment. I read that in a magazine, so I'm sure it's true. . .

In answer to your fertilizer question, Botanicare boasts being organic. I use it on bell peppers. Not because it's organic as much as it seems the peppers thrive best with that stuff for me. That's just my experience, though. It's expensive, in my opinion. But, I get awesome harvests from each plant. I use it as a fertilizer for my potted peppers, too. That's also hydroponics, I'm just doing the work instead of a pump. I also experience a lot less pH fluctuation with Botanicare. And no, I am not affiliated with them in case I sound like it.

• johnny_2009
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, I'm looking for something thats derived from natural materials. So would you say that Bio Bizz who also claims to be organic contains salts? I was told that I wouldn't have to check ppm with this because it didn't contain salts.

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

I'm afraid I don't know much about Bio Bizz beyond the fact that GH and Bio Bizz are now in bed together. Funny, considering some of the things the founder of GH has said about "organic" products and the current accepted definitions of organic (all of which I agree with).

I have read that Bio Bizz is made up of dissolved salts and this makes the use of EC meters pointless. It's not that there aren't salts. Just not dissolved. I may be way wrong on that, though.

Here is a link that might be useful: GH on organics

• freemangreens
    14 years ago

I'm curious which hydroponic "method" you intend using. From your post it sounds like static culture, but that's just a guess.

:O)

• joe.jr317
    14 years ago

CORRECTION I wrote that I've read that Bio Bizz is made up of dissolved salts. That was not what I meant. I left out the word not. Very important three letter word. It should have read: I have read that Bio Bizz is not made up of dissolved salts and this makes the use of EC meters pointless. It's not that there aren't salts. Just not dissolved. I may be way wrong on that, though.

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz