Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akgarrett62

passive bubble method okay w/growing tomatoes?

akgarrett62
15 years ago

saw in one place it said lettuce does well in that system, but not much else. is that wrong?...hope so.

Comments (10)

• technologygarden
    15 years ago

I'd suggest only growing lettuce, basil and smaller plants in a "lettuce raft" type system, I think the problem is with the size of the plants and roots and weight. A floating system just wont cut it. I have all my tomatoes in an aeroponic system based on the "aerospring" design in the book how to hydroponics. I also have an airstone in my aerospring incase the sprayers clog, this keeps the roots from dying until I can unclog the sprayers. More info and pics can be found on my website...

-Eric
    Technology Garden

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

I grow everything in a nutrient bath, with a bubbler. I use different types of media based upon the needs of the plant. The secret to using the bubbler is you need lots of air. I use a dual diaphragm pump from General Hydro to proved enough air.

I have grown with no issues: cucumbers, crooked neck squash, onions, garlic, tomatoes, hot peppers, bell peppers, potatoes, basil, dill, peanuts, lettuce, corn, and much more.

I have found that the plant will only grow as much as the roots receive air. By this I mean that leaves will wilt and the plant will die if it does not get enough air around the roots.

I have grown numerous different types of tomato plants all in a nutrient bath, at it works just fine. In fact, I have no problems at all.

I start the plants from seed, as soon as there is enough root, I move the seed out of the peat media into rock wool plugs. The rock wool plugs are then placed into a small net cup and those are put into the lid of a 2 gallon bucket with a bubbler and a weak nutrient solution where the roots are allowed to grow about 6 inches long.

Once the roots are six inches or so in length, the plugs are dropped into the DC10 Grodan Rock wool 3"X3" cubes. These cubes have a hole pre-cut that allows you to drop the plug into it and get a decent fit. I then drill a smaller 2" hole all the way through the cube to allow the air and nutrients to "splash up" onto the roots. The tomato plants grow very fast this way. The 3" x 3" cubes are then placed into a net pot, and the net pot is placed into a hole that I cut into the top of a 5 gallon bucket lid. Naturally the 5 gallon bucket is filled with a stronger nutrient solution and a bubbler.

I use what is called a atrium drain cap for a net pot. This drain cap can be purchased at Home Depot for about $6.75, and can be used over and over again as it is extremely strong and durable. The drain cap allows the 3" x 3" cube to be inserted into it perfectly. The drain cap has a large 2" lip that runs along the outside edge and provides stability for tall plants like the tomato plant. It has a raised 4" wall that raises above the edge that I use to drill holes and place 48" tomato supports which then supports the plants as they grow.

• hinzy
    15 years ago

mhargraves,
    Thanks for the details! Just the info I was looking for. Anyway you could post some pics of your different plants?
    Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: My Cukes

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

Jim,

Would love to, but do not know how to upload the pictures. I do not have a website or online gallery for my plants. Do you know how to upload pictures for this site?

Mark

• hinzy
    15 years ago

Mark,
    I don't know how to upload here. I use Picasa
    http://picasaweb.google.com

Would you mind emailing them to me...hines_343@hotmail.com

I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picasa

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

Let me know if you can get to this url: http://picasaweb.google.com/MEHargraves/Hydroponics

• hinzy
    15 years ago

Mark,
    Thanks for the pics.

IÂve studied your pics and posts. Let me make sure I understand how it works:
    - 4x4 cubes sit in the Atrium drain.
    - The Atrium sits in the 2 gallon bucket.
    - Air stone/bubbler is in the BOTTOM of the bucket
    - 4x4 cubs sits directly in the nute solution [is this correct, I donÂt see any wick material]

What are you using to germinate/clone your plants [1x1 rockwool cubes]?
    Then you insert them into the 4x4 cubes?

• mhargraves
    15 years ago

Yes you are correct in your assumptions.

In regards to how I grow seeds and clone; I just use water. I take my seeds, dump them into a Dixie cup, cover with 1" of water, put them in full light, and wait for them to sprout. I usually wait until they have a small 1/2" root. I then either move the sprout into a peat container to let the roots grow longer, or I put the sprouts into what is called a rock wool plug. If you look at the picture where there is a pre-drilled hole in the top of the rock wool cube, they sell the inner part with a slit in them as cutting plugs. I use those for only for seedlings with roots about 3" long.

For cuttings, I take a Dixie cup, fill it with water, put plastic wrap over the top, poke a hole in it, put the cutting in the hole.

Both methods work great for me, as good if not better than sprouting in peat or jiffy starters. To each his own, No?

I have also purchased plants from the nursery and washed the potting soil off the roots, then wrap the top part of the roots with a cutting plug, then insert that into the rock wool cubes.

As you saw, I also have plants in grow rocks. That is why I typically sprout in water, plant into peat (it is very easy to wash of and does not make a mess like potting soil which contains Perlite). Once the roots are long enough, I put into the basket with grow rocks.

I have an extra method I do for the baskets with grow rocks. I take a small net pot and turn it upside down and zip tie it to the bottom of a 4 - 12" net pot. I then cut a hole in the bottom of the 4 - 12" net pot to match the upside down small net pot. This does several things, it raises the bottom of the plant and roots so it is not on the bottom of the net pot, and it allows more air to come up through the center of the larger net pot.

If you use rock wool be sure to treat it first. I put the block into the Kitchen sink and run water on the center portion for about five minutes then do the same for each corner before I drill my hole all the way through. This seems to work better than treating.

Hope that is what you were looking for. If not, let me know.

• garysgarden
    15 years ago

Plants which grow edible foliage tend to work best in this kind of system, but certainly other things can be grown as well.

Tomatoes can drink a great deal compared to most plants, so keep that in mind if you want to do a DWC system. You'll need a larger reservoir or a second reservoir that keeps the first one topped off.

• lugnuts
    12 years ago

Mark,

Found this thread and your photos are awesome. I am setting up a similar indoor garden. Can you tell me more about the type of lighting you are using?

Thanks!
    Will