Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aerospring ROOT questions

Posted by sam_kx4sam 9B (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 16:01

More questions from a newbie again.

(I do know how to make salad).

Growing lettuce, spinach, and swiss chard.

I have developed long roots that reach down into the nutrient solution.

Somehow I expected multiple roots, but just one.

Temp: 78
PH: 7.0
EC: .7 (as desired for lettuce)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aerospring ROOT questions

Do you have pics you can post Sam? Here is a pic from my Romaine Lettuce grown in an aerospring

As you can see this is almost a fully grown head of Romaine, approx 35-40 days old grown under a 400 MH and 250 watt HPS HID light - total 650 Watts. So, do your roots look similar on your lettuce? I built my aerospring according to the book "How to Hydroponics" and built 2 of them, and joined them together to grow lettuce and other herbs.

More links on my website and photos

-Eric
TechnologyGarden.net

o

Ok, here are two pictures. I failed to write in my log the exact date these were started. But about 10 days from seed.

I have lowered PH to 6.4 - 6.6, EC at .7, temp at ~80. And a 4 Foot 4 Lamp High Output T5 Fluorescent Grow Light. A link to my light is listed below.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Light

o

You see those little short roots sticking out of the cup? Those will get a lot bigger really quickly.

I know what you're talking about though - I've had some plants (mostly spinach) that have really narrow, long root systems rather than the huge furry mass that some of my lettuce plants like to grow.

What I'm going to experiment with is intentionally crowding the roots early on. I usually start my seedlings in a Jiffy Starter and it seems (I could be wrong) that if I leave them in that sitting in a tray until the tap root hits the bottom and goes sideways that I suddenly get loads of roots coming out the sides of the Jiffy.

That'll make for a faster developing and more robust root system later, I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here