Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting started with hydroponics

Posted by olddaddy zone 9 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 7, 12 at 16:16

I've been reading this forum, and others to learn a bit about hydroponics. I am interested in a simple system that I can make up myself instead of purchasing a high dollar setup. I like the PVC tubes and also thinking of 3 or 5 gallon buckets. I've got tons of room outdoors to work in. I'd like to talk with other folks locally, we are near Haines City. Plan to start out with a couple vegetables and see where we end up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting started with hydroponics

By far the easiest form of hydroponics is a simple soilless drain to waste system. Just get some pots, a irragtion system (55 gal drum with feeder lines), some grow media like promix HP, and fertilizer and you are ready to grow. Maybe a ph meter to get your ph down to 6 after nutrients are added.

This form of hydroponics is the easiest, but does not save as much water/fertilizer as other systems would, but it saves way more then soil grown does.

o

hey olddaddy. Welcome to the forum.
You may find this guy's page helpful. dig around a bit; construction instructions are there.
He doesn't post here anymore, but I believe he was growing in florida as well.

o

Hi, welcome to the world of hydroponics. You will probably get lots of input as everybody has their own ideas on what is best. Just remember the most important thing about hydroponics is keeping the nutrient solution at a temperature that will not damage the plants (below 80ish and above 65ish). You are able to keeps plants outdoors longer than traditional gardening if you can control the nute temp by burying it or adding a cooler or heater.
Each system has it's strengths and weakness' so YOU have to do your homework on what works best for you i.e. $$$, location, space, type of vegis grown, time you have to spend etc.
That said, I have utilized several different kinds of systems. I have had both NTF and flood and drain in a 4 and 6 inch tube. I have grown pumpkins in a 16 gal rubermaid tote utilizing a bubbler system (DWC).I have a drip system in a 5 gal water bottle. My favorite system so far is a flood and drain in half of a 55 gal barell sort of like the barellponics. Hope this helps, good luck!

o

Hi, welcome to the world of hydroponics. You will probably get lots of input as everybody has their own ideas on what is best. Just remember the most important thing about hydroponics is keeping the nutrient solution at a temperature that will not damage the plants (below 80ish and above 65ish). You are able to keeps plants outdoors longer than traditional gardening if you can control the nute temp by burying it or adding a cooler or heater.
Each system has it's strengths and weakness' so YOU have to do your homework on what works best for you i.e. $$$, location, space, type of vegis grown, time you have to spend etc.
That said, I have utilized several different kinds of systems. I have had both NTF and flood and drain in a 4 and 6 inch tube. I have grown pumpkins in a 16 gal rubermaid tote utilizing a bubbler system (DWC).I have a drip system in a 5 gal water bottle. My favorite system so far is a flood and drain in half of a 55 gal barell sort of like the barellponics. Hope this helps, good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here