Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_jr317

Project Gardener's pics in other thread. . .

joe.jr317
14 years ago

I hope you are reading this, Project Gardener. I noticed you have a beautiful set of plants in a rubbermaid system. I wanted to give you a bit of advice since your system looks EXACTLY like my first pepper system from the outside. Yours looks like DWC whereas mine was aero. No matter, it's the outside I want to comment on.

In my first system, my plants did great in vegetative stage. It took awhile for me to realize I was experiencing blossom drop due to too much nitrogen, but otherwise they were beautiful plants. I used the same size cups and hydroton. Eventually, the plants got so big I had to take out the middle two. They were just way overcrowded. And that was without fruit. Once they got fruit, just the four remaining plants weighed too much for the lid to support with holes in it. The cups fell through the holes. It didn't kill the plants, but it certainly damaged them. See, the weight caused the lid to droop enough to gradually stretch the holes. Think of it this way: You showed a significant 9 day growth spurt. Imagine what you will have in a month or two.

Morals of the story: 1) You will experience overcrowding with what you have without good pruning and training. 2) It's best to start early, before they get too big to easily manage and before the lid starts stretching.

One last comment. If you put the system on wheels or something, you could bring it in at night and back out in the daylight to avoid low temps like what you will experience this weekend (I'm in Indiana and will also get that weather). It's supposed to drop below 50. That's not too awfully bad, but it can inhibit growth. Plus, from your post on the summer system thread I'm guessing you are at a higher latitude than me and may experience even lower temps.

Comment (1)