Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Name that nutrient deficiency

Posted by DocSky none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 3, 12 at 19:45

I have having some trouble with a pepper plant in a DWC setup. The roots are growing in nicely and have started replacing the ones that were in soil with new healthy looking white ones. However, the growth seems really slow even for peppers and I am still getting some burnt ends. The nutrients I am using cover everything except Mag, Cal, and Sulfur but I have tried my best to add what I can find for now. This is more of a test plant so I'm not going all out but I hope someone can point out what I am missing or not getting right.

The roots were a lot cleaner white but I added some fish emulsion and a day later it got over 105 out and they turned brown. I changed the nutrients after and new white ones are replacing them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Name that nutrient deficiency

Roots

o

And while we are at it, another pepper plant in soil. This one has been this way for weeks without any growth.

o

The first picture is probably too strong a nutrient solution.
the last picture looks like magnesium or iron deficiency.

o

I added some iron and mag to the second in the hopes to save it. I drained over half of the hydro solution and added fresh water. Thank you for the help.

o

if you are using a general plant food, which will work if it has the micro's, you will need to add epsom salts about 1/4 tsp per gal of nutrient and calcium nitrate, amount based on how much nitrogen the fertilizer has in it already. this will take care of the Ca, Mg ,and S. if the micro's are not chelated the ph will have to be maintained also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here