Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ebb and flow nursery

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 31, 13 at 19:47

Pic of it. Only issue I have is the coco cior I used below the stone must have had an oil in it. Their is a fatty skim on the water in the resivour.
 photo 5013964a-b92e-4c96-834b-bd2273565f9b_zps43872aa0.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ebb and flow nursery

Any reason this wont work?
I germinated 60 plants in it this weekend.

o

You germinated plants in it? Just broadcast seed in there and then pick the seedlings?
Or did you use rockwool or something else?

I ask because I don't think you need much at all just to germinate your seeds..I just throw seeds in rockwool and put in dark place for a day or two... then they go right into the NFT nursery first) channels...

Are you using this to grow to maturity?

o

In rock wool cubes. They are in there for about two weeks until roots start out the bottom then into the nft system!

o

The clear tub will grow algae, as will the reservoir water that is exposed to the light. Aluminum foil is a cheap way to light-proof. The foil-faced Styrofoam sheets used as insulation make decent lids, or you can cut one out of the reservoir container's original lid.

o

I am going to cut the bottom tubs lid out so it can cover the res. I was hoping that the top resivour is drained most of the time and wouldn't grow alge, but I can always spray paint it. The most recent seeds sprouted within two days. They are just going into the shade house today.

Thanks for the feedback.

o

This thing works much better than my prior method. I think these may be ready later next week for the system.

o

Cool.

How long do the roots get out of the rockwool? Do they grow into the media deep?

I germinated mine, waited for any roots to appear (just 1/16" or such) then put them in a nursery channel that is flooded up to about 1/8" of the rockwool... so the rockwool stays wet all the time. I was debating going to a flood and dry cycle to get more root growth, but havent found any info one way or the other.

What was your prior method?

o

I don't plan on letting the roots get mich longer than an 1/8 or so before going to the nft

o

Seems to work ok.

photo image_zps9f2171eb.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here