Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genebrown_gw

formula for mixing nutrilents at home

genebrown
15 years ago

as a hobby i grow vegies hydroponically and love it. But my nutrient cost is much to high can anyone please tell me of a home formula and where to buy the items in bulk at wholesale thanks gene

Comments (8)

• bilberrybrian
    15 years ago

Hi GeneBrown,

Last summer I worked at a place that bottled hydroponic nutrients among other products. If you want to try mixing your own nutrients together check out these two companies:

Haifa
    http://www.haifachem.com/lang1/templateltr/default.aspx?PageId=37&parentId=41&catId=12&maincat=1

Yara
    http://www.yara.com/en/products/fertilizer/plant_nutrition/index.html

Here is a sort of tutorial that may help you get started.
    http://library.thinkquest.org/C0110342/lessonplan/lesson3.html

Good luck!

• maineman
    15 years ago

Hello Gene,

I got your email, but I prefer to answer here. I am not really into hydroponics, but I do use soluble nutrients in my gardening. My soil is very sandy, so I am in effect growing plants hydroponically in sand outdoors. My soil does have some microorganisms, so I can use formulas that contain urea. My indoor gardening is in sterile media, so I can't use urea-containing products indoors.

I don't know how bilberrybrian's two Israeli sources are supposed to help you. I don't see any prices or places where you could buy their stuff.

I don't know of any really cheap retail sources for chemicals. If you are a commercial grower or a retail seller, you can get some decent prices on 25-pound bags or 50-pound bags. There is a very steep markup on chemicals in one-pound quantities, but since I am not a commercial grower (a registered business entity) or a reseller, I have to pay retail.

I have purchased nutrient chemicals online from Everybody's Garden Center, and from Hydro-Gardens.

CareFree Gardens also sells some nutrients online, although I haven't purchased from them.

MM

• maineman
    15 years ago

Hello again, Gene,

The Hydro-Gardens link got messed up somehow. The hopefully correct link is Hydro-Gardens.

Care Free Gardens is a retail branch of Crop King, who have an interesting offering of nutrients. Unfortunately, I think you have to be a commercial business to buy from them. I could sure use some of that ammonium nitrate on my dry brown compost pile consisting of wood chips and shredded dry leaves. I would dissolve the ammonium nitrate in water first. I have no interest in an exploding compost pile (grin).

MM

• bilberrybrian
    15 years ago

Here is some more detailed information,

Yara is arguably the world's largest supplier of chemical fertilizers with Haifa also being a major player. Both are used in mixing several hobbyist brands of hydroponic nutrients. Here is a Youtube video of a House and Garden bottling facility. Around 0:22 and again at 0:45 you can see feed lines for Yara fertilizers, though the names are in Dutch. Don't let the video impress much, what they are doing isn't that complicated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkgEQk6JInI&eurl=http://www.bilberrybrian.com/Joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=38&Itemid=57

While I admit to being uncertain if Haifa or Yara products can be purchased by a hobbyist, both have a presence in the original poster's state (Florida) and they can be contacted at the following:

Haifa NutriTech (HNT) Inc.
    405 Douglas Ave., Unit 2605
    Altamonte Springs, FL 32714
    USA
    Tel/Fax: +1-(407) 862 6400
    Toll-free: 1-(800) 649 4944
    E-mail: hnt-info@hntusa.com

Yara Territory Manager - Wachula, Florida
    Jerry Southwell
    email: jerry.southwell@yara.com
    Office: (863) 773-0154

That said if it weren't possible to buy a 50lb bag of ammonium nitrate directly from either of these companies it could be worth checking to see if a nearby commercial greenhouse using their products could order an extra bag of what you needed if you were to pay them upfront.

Hope that helps,

Brian

• maineman
    15 years ago

Brian,

"...it could be worth checking to see if a nearby commercial greenhouse using their products could order an extra bag of what you needed if you were to pay them upfront."

That sounds like a great idea. Hopefully they pay less for shipping than online stores charge on individual orders. Apparently you can sign up with Crop King without being a business (I was wrong about that in my previous message), but I discovered that their shipping costs are nearly as much as the product itself. Too bad Walmart doesn't open up a hydroponics section.

MM

• bilberrybrian
    15 years ago

Funny you mention Walmart selling hydroponic equipment. Last week I was in a Meijers and they had a vacant storefront near the cash registers where you would usually see something like a Subway, optometrist or hair salon. Naturally I envisioned a hydroponic store operating out of that storefront and it made me laugh a little bit.

Thanks for the links above as they were new to me. I would recommend that most people try mixing their own nutrients as you do MM, once they gain some confidence is the overall hydroponic gardening process. There isn't much that a big hydroponics company can do that a DIY type gardener can't accomplish on his or her own. This opens many possibilities for experimenting with different NPK ratios.

Several weeks ago I did an email interview with Grant Low, author or the now defunct 'Integral Hydroponics.' He mentioned that he was working on a new book that would list an ingredient breakdown of several different hydroponic nutrient brands and instructions of mixing them together. Grant wouldn't say when this book would be available, though I would speculate sometime in the next year. Just something to keep an eye out for since it would be pretty relevant to this topic.

• greystoke
    15 years ago

Well.
    I don't know if this is of interest. but the last 5 years I've been disolving wood ash in nitric acid. I managed to get the acid (25L 55%)at a wholesale price.
    Of course the acid gives me nitrates. The wood ash gives me calcium, magnesium, potassium and micro nutrients. I usually add some bonemeal for extra phosphor and calcium, some Epsom salt to supplement the magensium and sulfur, and I usually add a bit of potassium sulfate depending on the use.

How do you like that?

• freemangreens
    15 years ago

Look up towards the top of the forum for a post called "Looking For A Layman's Nutrient Recipe" or something like that.

I just posted an easy solution to the problem. Check it out.

God bless.

:O)