Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hot pepper dropping buds and flowers

Posted by downwiththepc27 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 08 at 21:22

I transplanted a hot pepper plant with no buds into a hydroponics system about 3 weeks ago and this week, it started growing like crazy, putting out small new leaves and new buds almost every night. However, the buds and flowers have begun to drop. There was heavy rain over the past 2 days, and I am hoping that was the cause. I don't think there is too much nitrogen because there are no dark green leaves - the new growth is a light green color.

I am wondering if the problem is because I keep the pepper in the shade (just for now because the nutrient heats up too much in the sun), or that I am using a grow nutrient (dyna-gro 7-9-5), or something else entirely?

If I should switch to a bloom nutrient, which do you recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hot pepper dropping buds and flowers

Obviously, the plants can't support the buds and the blooms and drop them in order to survive. I suggest you switch nutrients.
Best for peppers =
N: 208 ppm
P: 40 ppm
K: 340 ppm (peppers love potassium!)
Ca: 170 ppm
Mg: 50 ppm
S: 40 ppm

Can't recommend a make/brand, 'cause I live in Africa where such things are almost unknown.

o

So what percentages in the nutrients would that translate to (ie 10-10-10)? I have never seen bloom nutrients with that much potassium. It is always highest in phosphorous, potassium and then almost no nitrogen.

Has anyone used advanced hydroponics 3 part nutrient or ionic 3 part?

o

I think you could get a long way by just adding KNO3 (Potassium Nitrate), which should be readily available.
Surely you can work out the quantities . . . it's basic chemistry.

o

Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.

o

Willard, I've read your flower drop probable causes in other threads, but looking at them, the only one I might have is too much nitrogen.

1. Day temp 80-90
2. Night temp 65-70
3. This is the only one i could thinkg of. 7-9-5
4. I don't think my pepper is getting too much water
5. In the sun all day
6. Average humidity
7. Outside with plenty of wind
8. Lots of bees outside, anyways the buds usually drop before they open
9. 3 galllon bucket filled with gravel for medium sized plant (2 ft)
10. Well, I'm not sure about this one either

So I'm not sure what my problem is, unless it's too much nitrogen. I'm planning on getting some bloom nutrient soon to try.

o

Could it be calcium deficiency? My nutrients are 2% calcium.

o

Too much nitrogen in the nutrient mix.

Try feeding them just water for a week or two. Maybe just try this for a couple plants, so you don't risk your entire crop.

I've grown peppers and once that bloom sets, it's all about reproduction and the need for more vegetation is really low on the to-do list.

God bless.

:O)

o

Well, it stopped dropping buds and now looks like it is about to flower. It's still growing crazy fast though. I never got around to switching to a bloom nutrient, I just dropped my grow nutrient to 1/2 recommended concentration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here