Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sasselhoff_gw

Using a DWC reservoir simultaneously as an Ebb and Flow reservoir

Sasselhoff
9 years ago

I'm going to be growing a number of different non-blooming plants that will all be getting the same fertilizer mix (once I can make it...pre-made stuff of any name brand here in China is CRAZY expensive) in a handmade Ebb & Flow system. I also have a 600mm (23.6") x 396 (15.6) x 358 (14.1) box that I'm using as an 8 site DWC seedling grower, which I use after the germination box, but before their final stop in either an individual bucket DWC (chili peppers) or the Ebb & Flow (everything else).

So here is my question: since the plants in the DWC will be the seedlings that will be going into the Ebb & Flow once they get big enough, can I use the box from the DWC as the reservoir for my Ebb & Flow?

Any nutrients that I will be giving my Ebb & Flow system will be vegetative in nature, meaning they should also be acceptable for my seedlings. Though, I recognize seedlings usually like their nutrients a little watered down...which means I'll just wait until they are a little bigger before moving them in.

The only things I can think of as being an issue would be the ease of a total system infection of some sort (root rot/whatever), the issue of keeping the reservoir temp acceptable for both systems (though, that was a concern anyway), the roots in the DWC system will be just "hanging out" for about 5 minutes or so several times a day (though, I can see that could actually be a benefit, giving them just a bit more O2 maybe?), and last but not least the fertilizer would get used up much faster, requiring more constant water changes. And of course, the size of the Ebb & Flow system (it�s not built yet) will have to coincide with the water available in the DWC system.

Did I miss anything? Or is there some reason that this wouldn't be feasible?

Thanks very much!

Cheers,
Sassel

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH