Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
freedee_gw

Plant wall soil

freedee
14 years ago

I want to have a plant wall something like the ones in the link below. So far I had a welder make a frame of parallel lengths of metal railing that has a pocket in between that is about a foot wide. (This has all been coated with a product that will keep it from rusting for many years.) I plan on lining it with landscape fabric and filling it with, a soiless mix. Then I will cut little hoses through the fabric and insert plant plugs, mostly ferns and other shade loving plants.

HereÂs my question. What should I fill this with? I was thinking just perlite, vermiculite or a combination of both. I will have mini drip irrigation tubes inside it. I was also thinking of adding some misters. It would be impractical to change out the soil regularly, because itÂs not so easy to get into it. IÂm thinking I need something that doesnÂt break down. I would fertilize it with manure tea, or IÂm open to suggestions.

IÂm in central NJ, zone6-7. This is in the shade of deciduous trees. ItÂs about 3 feet high in parts, and 7 feet high in other parts. I will try to post photos.

www.verticalgardenpatrickblanc.com

Comment (1)