Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to keep Ebb & Flow reservoir h20 temp cool when outside?

Posted by arizona_pepper_man phx, arizona (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 5, 08 at 10:41

How does one keep the water in an EBB & FLOW reservoir cool when it's in the sun during the day? I'm doing a simple set up for 4 pepper plants, water on every 1hrs for 5 minutes. The reservoir is approx 15 gallons.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to keep Ebb & Flow reservoir h20 temp cool when outside?

You could use a swamp cooler, put ice in it or use compressive refrigeration.

You could also insulate it well and use a sun shade.

o

Try putting the reservoir under ground to stay cooler. Shading always helps too. You could also put frozen water bottles in the tank as a cheap solution. Mine is partially exposed so I painted it white. In the summer heat, every bit helps here in Florida. You can buy refrigeration units, but they are a bit pricey for home growing.

o

Goin' back to high school physics for this one:

Dark colors absorb heat; white or shiny colors reflect heat.

Look around and find someone who is remodeling their house and throwing out some mirrored closet doors. Build a frame and set the mirrors with the clear side facing the sun; shadowing the pump (which I'd bury, by the way!).

This will not only put your sump in the shade, but will actively reflect both light and heat unlike using any other material.

God bless.

:O)

o

Mirrors is a bit extreme. You don't have to bounce the light back into the atmosphere (or into your neighbor's eyes). The temperature in the shade of a mirror is the same as the temperature in the shade of a sheet of cardboard.

Dig a hole roughly the size and shape of your reservoir and drop it in. Cover it up to keep critters and crud out of it, but make sure it's not a hassle to get to it so you can check temperature, pH, and ppm.

Put it in the shade, either natural shade or DIY shade. It doesn't have to be fancy. In fact, if you're growing bushy plants you could even position them so they shade their own reservoir. But don't forget to keep the accessibility in mind. You don't want it to be buried behind a wall of monster tomato plants later.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here