Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cghpnd

Total newbie here wanting to use Aeroponics

cghpnd
9 years ago

For many weeks i have read a lot on the web and this site.
however i am confused and unsure.
The reason i want to use Aeroponics is simple. Last year with my indoor gardening i had not only a mess but moisture gnats. They were a huge problem. They were loving the soil.
I want to try Aeroponics. In an 18 gal Rubbermaid tub.
I want to grow lettuce mainly. We go through tons a year.

I'm still not understanding the exact supplies i would need for this. From the pump to the sprayers.

I have T5 Ho lights. I just want to try it for one tub. And if this has been posted and i missed it i do apologize.

Thanks a bunch.

Comments (5)

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago

It's not really aeroponics unless you have a high-pressure pump.

Probably deep water culture would be the best name. Put the plants in net pots of hydroton, and keep the bottoms wet somehow. You'll want to aerate the solution below. Most people use an air pump and air stone, because it's cheap and easy. I like using a water pump. I'd buy a 30-50gph mag drive pump and plumb it into a pvc manifold. Drill 1/8" holes on the underside of the manifold and your reservoir water will "pee" down into itself.

Aeration comes from turning over surface area, and my manifold idea works better than simply spraying water everywhere with cheap misters or fountain pump parts. Ebay sellers call those cheap systems "aeroponics," but without a pump that builds pressure, the particle size of reservoir solution you are able to make is much, much larger. The mist is not nearly as fine as it needs to be to create real aeroponic results. There's more to aeroponics than just roots hanging in air.

• cghpnd
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for responding!
    Is it even possible to use the Aeroponics in an 18 Gal tote? Should I use the 30 Gal?

I had read to use a water pump. i did not know that some use air pumps. Good to know.

I really am interested in learning more about Aeroponics.

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago

The real aeroponic systems have a pump that builds pressure to at least 35 psi. At that pressure, the micron size of mist that is produced is very small. A well pump would work, but they're way too big for your application. I put a link below to a pump that would be appropriate for a system your size. Small pumps like that charge an accumulator tank, which is periodically released as a mist, timed on a cycle timer.

Here is a link that might be useful: sample pump

• Michael.Masztal
    9 years ago

As a newbie, IâÂÂd use DWC to learn about ihydroponics- stuff like ppm, lighting cycles, nutrient requirements and levels, etc. Aeroponics are more difficult to operate, especially if youâÂÂre new to hydroponics.

• BigJoe8504
    9 years ago

I would add that realistically you could use a 10-18g on top of a 30gal tote, use a booster pump from an RO unit. they tend to get higher than required pressures. but they have low output. icemaker booster pumps work as well but low duty cycles. you could to a 15 on 5 off cycle, if you had a timer that would handle it. the RO pump is about 30 but you really wouldn't get enough volume out of it for anything more than 8 or 9 head. you would still need a water pump or air pump to turn over the water in the storage reservoir

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner