Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hydroman8

Grow Systems - Omega Garden?

hydroman8
16 years ago

Does anyone have any experience with Omega Gardens? I've been doing alot of research on full grow systems and these seem to offer the best quality/function. I'm interested in real world statistics. Thanks! omegagarden.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Omega Garden

Comments (11)

• greystoke
    16 years ago

Welcome hydroman8.

Thanks for the link. Must admit that my initial reaction was like: "Wow! Whatever next!" {{gwi:998412}}

I can imagin that this could be a very efficient system, but I have no experience with it. My particular interest lies with experimental hydro at the (very) low tech end of the spectrum, ie: passive systems and making your own nutrient from readily available base materials.
    However, I'm always interested in new developments.
    Please tell us how you're doing, and . .
    Good Luck

Regards
    Greystoke

• tclynx
    16 years ago

Looks high tech and way out of my price range. I've no experience with anything like that either. I'm into the medium to low tech as none of my completely passive systems have done well so I at least add a bubbler to the tank for airation.

• greystoke
    16 years ago

On a different subject:

tclynx wrote:
    . . I at least add a bubbler to the tank for airation.

I know that that's highly advisable, but how am I going to accomplish this without electricity? I need ideas!

• willardb3
    16 years ago

The highly-hyped hydro systems you see on the web work the same as home-built systems only they have motors and racks you don't need.

If omega gardens seem too good to be true,m they're not true......

• greystoke
    16 years ago

It is a clever system, but . . I'm just wondering which market Omega is targetting. If its commercial than that would constitute one heck of an investment. Would that be viable? I'm sure it'll be cheaper setting up some tunnels with NFT trays.
    And if its the hobbyist . . . ? Who's gonna buy it?!?!

I see there's a smaller version, the "Volksgarden" obviously aimed at the hobbyist. I think most hobbyists could do just as well with simpler means. {{gwi:1013751}}

• hydroman8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the inputs although I'd still like the opinion of somebody who has seen one in action. I was originally attracted to the Omega Garden due to space management issues. The smaller 'volksgarden' will fit in the corner of my kitchen and still allow me to move around for cleaning/access.

How much space, lights, and money would it take me to set up the equivalent more traditional hydroponics package - like the 80 plants for Volksgarden? Thanks

• greystoke
    16 years ago

Of course if space is that much of an issue, then the Volksgarden may well be worth the price tag. Only you can be the judge of that.

One concern though:
    All plants share the same nutrient solution, meaning that you may be limited in your choice. Either all 80 plants are the same, or you will have to make a well considered selection.

• hydroman8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good point on the nutritional aspect - I suppose lighting wavelengths and time period could also be thrown in this category.

I think, although I'm a beginner, the different herbs I'm interested in could be grouped together under the same general growing conditions - basil, oregeno, parsely, thyme, etc. 200W CFL probably

Then, many greens and lettuce could be grouped together into one growing period. Thoughts?

I went and looked at a Volksgarden in a grow shop and it looks truly like a growing machine and it's bigger than the pictures suggest. It definitely won't fit in my closets much less the trunk of my car:) The price is better direct from the website though so maybe I go that route. hmmm.

• greystoke
    16 years ago

I have an xls file which contains pH and EC values for a whole lot of plants. Here is the link:
    phec.xls
    The ranges are min and max ranges which the plants can be allowed to grow in, depending on size etc.

Have fun!

• hydroman8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the compilation greystroke. I'll start growing and post results.

• flagg
    15 years ago

Ok, my first post didn't work so here it is again.
    I have a Volksgarden and I love it. It has a drawback though. If you harvest some of the plants, you have to redistribute the remaining ones or it becomes off balance and stops turning.
    Try the B-Pod. More money but it's gear driven.

Here is a link that might be useful: B-Pod

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists