Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spkloppers

Final year Project on Automated greenhouse

SPKloppers
9 years ago

I'm busy with my automated greenhouse intended for a rural area with a budget of R2500. The electronics are pretty much sorted with an Arduino controlling a car 12V radiator fan as well as a Pump(I still need one though). A temperature sensor and moisture sensor senses the environment and serves as input to the Arduino.

I would like to know if the structure that I have build(see attached image) will work? I still need a tank, not sure how big, total amount of plants is 7 per pipe and I have 6 pipes, thus 42. According to research this leads to a 150litre tank, which is way to big for my portable rural area greenhouse.

I'm going to cover the structure in the image with 200micron plastic attached to 25mm PVC pipe with 2 zips on each side allowing the user to open the side panels when extreme heat occurs inside the greenhouse.

My concern is if the system will work when I attach the drainage pipes and connect my reservoir and pump...

Any feedback/comments on improving the system will be very welcome!

Comments (4)

• hydrocat
    9 years ago

disclaimer: I am new at this stuff :)

It looks right to me.. but you don't have any water lines in yet and that will determine whether it will work for real. I tried similar approach at home (no arduinos though) and found that controlling the water flow was very hard. My problem was that the water pump pumped way too much water... so when you add the water lines add valves to all the entry points (in this case it could be 2 or 6 depending on how you do it). In my next setup (next spring) I will have valves everywhere.

What material did you use for the pipes?

• SPKloppers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have spagetti tubes for the inlet of the water lines from the reservoir together with 6 valves for them, so this should control the water input flow.

I used underground 110mm PVC pipe, cheaper than the normal PVC pipes.

Thanks for the feedback!

• ajames54
    9 years ago

Structurally it looks like it will work, it doesn't look far different than what I built for my back yard aquaponics set up. I can't see what sort of slope you have on the tubes or if it is adjustable but I found that I had to increase the slope on mine to keep the tubes from clogging from root growth.

If your math asks for a 150 liter tank and you think that is too big it should be an easy enough task to recode the arduino to run in two or even three cycles. Isolating the tubes in pairs and running each pair five minutes on and ten minutes off would allow you to cut your tank size down to 50 liters (though 60 would probably be wiser). You would have to add three flow control switches and would probably want to increase the monitoring of the levels in the nutrient tank but I don't think that would be a huge task or expense.

You mention that you are using "Underground" PVC.. how does it stand up to UV light?

As far as the Arduino goes there have been a few people making noises about building libraries to allow some of the over the counter sensors to measure pH and TDS (total dissolved solids). That will make automation a really viable option.

• cole_robbie
    9 years ago

You'll want to shade your reservoir from the sun, maybe stack concrete blocks around it. Buried in the ground is best, but you have to make a drain for the hole so that a heavy rain does not flood it and float out the reservoir container.

The north side is not going to get much sun. You can probably still grow lettuce or greens. If you grow tomatoes on the south side, you want a dwarf or determinate variety that does not get too big, or else the roots will clog your pipe.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler