Return to the Hydroponics Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ppm for lettuce?

Posted by Rio_Grande none (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 15:53

I want to maximize our lettuce production. We have a ppm rating on our water of about 300. If I follow the directions on my fertilizer I end up with over 1000 ppm I have been throttling back to about 600 ish. With a ph around 6.5

In my old res the lettuce were consuming about 50 ppm a day. I put the new res in today and just ph corrected and brought the ppm up to about 600.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ppm for lettuce?

The added calcium and magnesium probably in the water won't hurt the lettuce, and if your farm water is yours, it would be worth analyzing it for a few bucks to know for sure. Cutting back too far on the nitrogen will reduce the growth rate and the other stuff in the water probably isn't doing anything much to add to nutrients, just raising the salinity. Wow, I just noticed, you said the pH down brought it from 300 to 600 ppm, ufff. When you top off, use rainwater!

It all depends on where you are with the current formula. Probably you want to shoot for around 115-120 ppm for nitrogen in there and just let the rest fall however it falls.

This post was edited by PupillaCharites on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 16:46

o

My problem is I am using a " complete fertalizer" it has cal and mag already in it. How would I ever measure the strength of the nitrogen alone week to week?

Plants look good, I am just trying to make sure I am giving them as much as they will take and not too much. I am looking for a local test site for our water.

o

Well, somewhere I read the dedication in some book, "The plants will be the final judge" but you wanted to optimize.

For the test lab, you might want to mail it instead to these guys who really know what they are doing, $36 bucks abnd the kit is sent free:

Water or Fertilizer solution test

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydroponics Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here